chapter forty-six

Yael stared at her building, excitement growing

Yael stared at her building, excitement growing. The construction and remodeling were moving along quickly. The front already boasted new windows and fresh trim, ready for a coat of paint. Her heart swelled with happiness. This was exactly what her dad imagined. She only hoped he was proud of her for opening her business here.

The sound of hammering drew her to the front door of the bakery. She stepped inside and found Casey prying up the worn floor. Her contractor was laying the black and white checked tiles next week, and Yael could hardly wait. Otherwise, the store was gutted to the framework or exposed to the original brick walls. She made sure to keep those since they added warmth and rustic charm.

"Hey," Casey greeted as he pushed to his feet, his face and clothes dusty, tool belt slung low on his hips. He reached for a bottle of Gatorade on a nearby sawhorse, and desire pooled in her belly. She liked this side of him. "Dreaming again?"

"About more than the shop."

She grinned as he stalked towards her. "I'm glad you're here. I have a surprise for you. Sort of a grand opening gift."

His buoyant mood was contagious, and he linked his fingers with hers, drawing her to the far wall where a large hole had been made, allowing her to glimpse inside the neighboring store.

"Did you have an accident?" she asked with a smirk.

"No, smartass. This space," he indicated the part he was working in, "is entirely too small for a baker of your talent. You need more room to create your masterpieces, to expand into other areas if you wanted. So, we're combining these two stores just for you."

"You're kidding?" Yael inched closer, peering into the dingy room but only seeing possibilities.

"The hole should say I'm pretty serious."

"I was perfectly fine with the original space."

"It'll give you more room for tables and to grow," he told her. "To continue growing."

She surveyed the new floor plan, letting her mind visualize it. The curved counter and display case she wanted would fit really well right where the stores used to share a wall, giving her a much bigger kitchen than she dreamed. She wouldn't have to sacrifice anything. More seating intrigued her, maybe even a couple couches to relax in and sip a cup of tea. Live music.

Impulsively, she leapt forward and threw her arms around Casey's neck. "I love it!" She pulled back, beaming at him. "I never even considered doing this. The square footage has doubled. I am going to have an amazing kitchen."

"Figured you'd hone in on that detail first. I wanted to surprise you. You deserve this."

"Well, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Although, I know you have ulterior motives." She hugged him again and stepped into the new area, taking it all in. He really was terrific on all levels.