chapter nine

A couple of hours later, Yael strode into Malkah Enterprises armed with her father's files tucked under one arm and a spring in her step

A couple of hours later, Yael strode into Malkah Enterprises armed with her father's files tucked under one arm and a spring in her step. Most of the buildings he had earmarked were no longer available or had already been razed in favor of a more modern structure, but Yael found one in Midtown that would serve as a perfect starting point. She'd detoured past it on the way to the office.

It was an old, three-story brick corner building, originally the headquarters of a small newspaper no longer in circulation. According to her research, the first two floors had been used for printing, and the topmost boasted offices and apartments. Since then, it had housed numerous businesses and tenants, but none of the owners put any maintenance into it, and the beautiful building had fallen into disrepair. Renovating was going to be the biggest challenge, along with relocating the lingering renters. She needed to track down the current owners because it was for sale as luck would have it.

Signing in, she spotted Casey entering through the doors on the west side of the building and pursed her lips. Might as well get the confrontation with Mr. I-Know-Everything out of the way. Yael squared her shoulders and followed him to the elevator. As she stepped in, Casey leaned against the wall, hands buried in the pockets of his trousers, and watched her. His brown eyes twinkled with humor, but she knew better. A self-righteous ass existed under the impeccable charcoal suit, one she, unfortunately, had to play nice with, or sort of nice.

"You must still be on California time. Here, the workday usually starts before one in the afternoon."

"Thanks for the info." She fought the urge to kick him in the shin or ask if he'd been out stealing lollipops from babies. "Actually, I spent the morning with my grandmother and going through my father's home office." His gaze left her face and landed on the files she held in her arms.

"Yeah, Miriam called a bit ago to tell me you had an idea, a project your father concocted before he died."

Catching the respectful way Casey said her grandmother's name brought to mind Dorota's remark the first day. Curiosity won over annoyance. "Are you one of the colleagues who visits her?"

His lip twitched. "Why? Do you find it surprising?"

"Since you seem to hold so much stock in preconceived notions, do you blame me? Am I to assume you're always as charming as you were yesterday?"

"Count on it." He eyed the files again, sounding more amused than rude. "And do you really think you can waltz in here and do whatever the hell you want?"

"You forget I interned with the company for three years. I realize it was a while ago, but I do remember how this company works. All I'm asking for is a chance before you write me off as the black sheep." Patience vanished, and she held up a hand in frustration. "No, forget I said that. I don't need to ask you for anything."

As if on cue, the elevator doors opened and, refusing to wait for his snide comeback, she strode out, past reception and into Peter's office, her arms quivering with tension. Her grandmother said she would need Casey on her side. That should be interesting.