chapter forty-five

Saturday morning, Yael greeted the day on cloud nine, having slept in much longer than she intended but still riding the emotional high of the previous night

Saturday morning, Yael greeted the day on cloud nine, having slept in much longer than she intended but still riding the emotional high of the previous night. Casey. She sighed, stifling a girly giggle and sprawling in the sun shining on her bed. She'd kissed Casey. And wow. It was everything she imagined. Hell, more. He filled her with the kind of butterflies she'd only read about, the ones that threatened to lift her completely off her feet.

Whoa, slow down, she lectured silently. No need to get ahead of yourself.

Yael rose and showered, unable to keep the smile from her face. Tossing on one of her favorite sundresses, she thought ahead to her weekend. She should go by Miriam's and continue sorting through the mountains of stuff there, especially since she'd decided to go with Wendy's suggestion and remodel it. Still, the task didn't match her buoyant mood. On impulse, she decided to whip up a batch of wild blueberry muffins, a new recipe for the bakery, to take to Casey since he had mentioned he'd be working there today. She hummed as she measured and poured and stirred. When they were done, and quite smug about how they'd turned out, she headed down to the lobby.

The silver-haired doorman, Bobby, caught her as she walked by. "Your picture's in the paper again, Miss Malkah. You sure look pretty." Pride filled his compliment.

Her brows knitted together in irritation. What were they saying about her now? Taking the paper from Bobby, her heart sank even farther when she saw the picture.

Photographs of the gala filled the 'Society' page and, there at the top, bigger than the rest, was a snapshot of Casey holding her close. His hand cupped her face as they gazed into each other's eyes. She remembered that moment, right before he pressed his lips to hers. Lost in the memory, joy eased into her heart, a slow happy burn.

Then she gasped. Anyone looking at this would see how they felt about each other.

The possibility of Haustin reading the article before she told him herself turned her blood to ice. This was not how she wanted him to find out. He deserved to let her explain. She'd have to put off going to Casey for now.

"Can I have this?"

The doorman nodded, and she placed it with her basket of muffins, running out to flag a taxi. Before she even lifted her arm, a hand clamped onto it. Glancing over, she came face to face with Casey's father. Familiar brilliant blue eyes stared at her blearily, hints of anger tightening the corners, and she saw Casey in the line of his jaw, but the resemblance ended there.

"I want to talk to you."

The growl in his tone sent a flicker of fright skittering down her spine, confusing her. Out of respect for Casey, she nodded, intent on at least hearing the man out and moving over so she'd still be in view of the doorman. "What can I do for you?" She realized then that she didn't even know his name.