Chapter 9: Caught!

The next day, true to his word, Ban Ryu waited nervously outside Soo Yeon's home. A few minutes later, her front door opened, and she waved him into her house. Then she led him to her small, private sitting room off to the right of the home's entrance. She shut the door behind them. And prepared to sit down on the sofa with him to chat.

He was again understandably nervous, afraid that her father would catch them together. He even pointed out once more that he was not comfortable sneaking around with her. But in her passion for him, she begged him not to desert her. And promised her undying love and devotion to him. Once again.

Right before her father opened the door and caught them together.

The tirade that followed ended with him throwing the distressed young man out of his house. And warning him that he would face dire consequences should he ever trespass on his property again.

––

"That's it, Bit Na. We must marry that girl off. Quickly!" her husband declared after chasing Ban Ryu from his house. "Before he can corrupt her."

"Corrupt her?" Lady Bit Na retorted scoffingly. "She's the one who invited him to sit alone with her today."

"Because she's come under his influence!"

"Darling, you act as if the boy isn't a noble hwarang! He is one of the king's own bodyguards! He just returned from spending several months protecting the princess. And he is of noble birth."

"No longer. All of that was stripped from him when his father fell into disgrace!"

She sighed. "I know. More's the pity. For I believe that Soo Yeon truly loves him."

She had seen the tears sliding down her daughter's face before they fell to stain her robe. Right before the girl had fled to the comforts of her bedchamber.

"It cannot be! Even if he hadn't lost all he had, he is Park Ho Gong's son!"

"Oh, don't start up with that family feud nonsense again! Would you have let such a thing stop you from marrying me?"

He blinked. "I, uh," he sputtered before hollering, "don't be ridiculous!"

"Ridiculous?" That fine lady raised one delicate eyebrow at her husband. "Now I'm being ridiculous, am I? Just because I want to see my daughter happily married?"

"She will be happily married. To Lord Lee Beom Sook."

"Lord Lee Beom Sook!" she gasped and shook her head. "No. If we're going to pair her with anyone, it should be with Choi Hong Hwan."

Her husband rolled his eyes. "Haven't we been down this road before?"

"Many, many times," his wife responded wearily, "and we never arrive at a consensus. You should simply let her marry Ban Ryu. He is a fine man, pledging his allegiance to the king. And going against both of his own fathers to follow his conscience. Few men as young as he would pass such a test."

As her husband began to sputter, she continued, "You know as well as I do that if you took the boy under your wing, you could restore his standing in society."

He scoffed. "My lady wife, are you feeling ill?" he sneered.

Her face fell. "Please...just consider the boy."

"I have," he grumbled. "I have considered him an enemy since his birth. And now that I suspect his lips have perused my daughter..." His face instantly turned crimson.

"Darling! Calm down. I'm sure it was just a few innocent kisses! He was in the sitting room. Not her bedchamber."

Lord Kim Seub glared at his wife. "You, my dear, are too naïve still. And too trusting."

"Well, if you suspect that he's stolen more from her, then they should marry today," she brightened.

"Nice try, Bit Na. But it's not going to work. Those two will never marry. I choose Lord Lee Beom Sook."

"But Choi Hong Hwan is such a delightful boy! And his father is a revered member of the council."

"As was the old Lord Lee. And Lord Choi is not as good a friend to me as was Lee Beom Sook's appa," he countered.

Right before he sighed. Here they went again. He reached up and rubbed his forehead. Suddenly wishing that Ban Ryu were a viable option.