Chapter two: Nose Bleed

EVERYONE ON THE BUS WAS GETTING THEMSELVES READY FOR THE GAME, CHEERING AND STUFF

EVERYONE ON THE BUS WAS GETTING THEMSELVES READY FOR THE GAME, CHEERING AND STUFF. I sat beside Kate, smiling at Deena as she took her seat a few rows behind Simon. Simon was wearing a witches outfit, hat and all, with his face even painted green. He went the full length.

As the bus drove to Sunnyvale, Kate and I were talking about pretty much everything and nothing. However, I was soon pulled out of our conversation when something hit my shoulder, falling into my lap.

I looked down, seeing a piece of teared notebook paper, and I glanced across the isle, seeing Simon looking at me with a wonky smile.

Rolling my eyes, I unfolded the paper, showing a poorly draw witch with the words "Sarah Fier is back" written in a speech bubble. I crumpled the paper in my hand, tossing it back at Simon and I said, "you're such a bad drawer."

He looked fake offended, "my art skills are top shit, thank you very much." His hand was placed over his heart and his mouth was slightly agape.

|||

"This isn't how I wanted to be here tonight. I wanted to be here as a fan. Our Sunnyvale Devils and your Shadyside Witches throwing down some good old American football." Mayor Goode went on, "Instead , I find myself here as a husband, a father, as a neighbour. And, yes, mayor of Sunnyvale."

"And on behalf of all of the people in my town, I say all of Sunnyvale mourns with you."

Well, that's just a bunch of bullshit. The Sunnyvale football team and cheerleaders  were only here because it was mandatory, no one else from Sunnyvale bothered to show up. 

"Yeah, really looks like they give a damn." Kate remarked, her, Deena and I looking over the Sunnyvalers.

"The football team, cheerleaders, they only came because they had to. None of them care." I practically spat my words out, my tone venomous.

I looked down at the fake candle in my hand, twirling it around gently. If none of them actually cared, this was all pointless. I'd rather go home, go to bed. Anything else.

Once the mayor was done with his speech, the field lights went off and our candles turned on. Sheriff Goode, the mayor's brother, was now speaking.

"My family's been in Sunnyvale for generations, and now my brother is mayor and I your sheriff." He started, "we've prospered here. And yet, I've seen you, our neighbours in Shadyside, suffer tragedy after tragedy. It's easy in times like this to drown in questions of why...why this happened. But I know too well there are no answers that will provide relief."

As Sheriff Goode went on, most likely spewing any shit he thought made him sound good, my eyes wandered over to the Sunnyvale football team and cheerleaders.

None of them cared even a little. They stood looking away, zoning off and rolling their eyes or not so subtly looking down at their phones with the screens dimmed.