Chapter two: Widow Mary

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR US TO ARRIVE AT THE WIDOW'S PLACE IN THE WOODS. Sarah voiced a couple of her concerns but we continued as planned nonetheless. I'm sure we'd be fine.

Outside, hung up, we dead animals. Small animals, like rabbits, badgers, baby foxes. There were knocked over baskets with various different foods falling out onto the dirt floor and Lizzie's lantern was our only source of light.

"Widow Mary?" Lizzie asked as we followed her unit the small house. A fire was burning and different animal parts were strung up around the room. "Widow Mary?" Lizzie peered behind a sheet that was acting as a door to another room. "She's not here. Find the berries."

Hannah and I followed Lizzie into the back room, the three of us looking for the berries in there whilst Sarah must've been searching the other room we came from.

I looked through different pots, jars and boxes. I couldn't find them. "Are we sure they're here, Lizzie?" I looked over at the girl.

She nodded. "They should be. Just keep looking."

We decided to head into the first room where Sarah was since the berries had been found and Hannah pushed back the sheet. Widow Mary was stood very close to Sarah, pinning her against the wall and a knife was between their bodies.

"Sarah?" Hannah spoke.

Widow Mary whispered to Sarah, and then began raising her voice, shouting "Get out!" as the four of us quickly left her little home.

|||

The four of us approached Isaac and Abigail were sat by a fire, drinking from a shared bottle. Lizzie held the berries out in her hand as the two turned around. "The full moon rises." She held a proud smile on her face.

We all gathered in a circle, Lizzie handing a berry to each of us and we took in turns eating it. First Lizzie herself, then Isaac, followed by me and then Abi, Sarah and finally Hannah.

"To the fruits of the land."

It wasn't long before everything was moving rather quickly but yet so slowly at the same time. I found myself moving my hands back and forth, trying to decide if they were moving fast or not. I didn't figure it out.

It felt good to let loose, to feel free from any jobs my mother asked of me. It was also comforting to be a good distance away from wherever Mad Thomas might be.

As the night went on, my mood only increased. I felt amazing.

Lizzie and I danced around together, our hands joined and Isaac sat on top of a stump simply watching us sway together with the faintest of smiles on his lips.

Sarah Fier had ended up punching Caleb, and pointed out to everyone there that he had an erection. Of course, this made everybody laugh and Caleb fled in embarrassment.

Once the laughter died down, I swayed my skirt as I stood before Isaac. My hand reached out to him and I looked deeply into his eyes. "Come dance with me, Isaac."

He took my hand, standing from the tree stump. Isaac twirled me around and we danced with our bodies so close I could feel his heartbeat in his chest through his slightly undone shirt that he wore loosely.

Isaac wasn't much taller than me if he was at all but it was nice. I could feel his breathing gently fanning against my hair and blowing it away from my face ever so slightly.

He leaned closer to my ear. "Come with me." The blond whispered before taking my hand to lead me away from the party and further into the woods.

"You've not taken me to kill me, have you?" I tilted my head at him as he stopped by a tall tree.

Isaac pulled me closer to him as he sat himself on top of a rock, standing me between his legs. "No." He smiled up at me, "I'd never dream such a thing."

He linked my hands behind his neck, before his fingers played with the corset of my dress. Once he had managed to un-do it, it was removed from me and the top to my skirt was ever so slightly pulled out by him, loosening up my entire outfit.

Isaac kept his hands on my waist, not moving them any higher or lower. Our faces were merely inches apart, our noses touching as our lips teased one another.

We didn't touch. Instead, our heads slowly moved with the threat of our lips meeting in the middle.

After a short while of teasing each other, our lips finally met and it started slow but, as the need for each other's touch became stronger, the kiss became faster, rougher.

I undid his shirt even more, showing more of Isaac's chest and he began to do the same to mine. He slowly stood, not moving his hands from my waist, and he repositioned us so that I was against the rock with him stood.

Isaac began to lower himself to his knees, butterflies erupted in my stomach. He pushed my skirt up, placing gentle kisses against my skin as he moved closer.

A quiet moan of pleasure left my mouth, making his grip on my legs tighten. My eyes widened suddenly. "Jacob!" I shouted and Isaac scrambled from under my skirt.

He quickly turned around, still on his knees and his hair was all messy. Not far from us stood my brother with eyes as wide as mine, mouth agape and a look of pure horror on his face.

I stood, moving past Isaac and my fingers tightly grabbed the younger boy's ear, pulling him through the woods and back towards the settlement.

"What the hell are you doing out here?!" I raised my voice at him as we walked through the party.

Jacob winced. "Mam doesn't want you seeing that boy." My grip on him tightened.

"Mam, doesn't have to know."

"But she does, Beth." I swung Jacob's body so he was stood in front of me and I let go of his ear. "You know she does. And she has plans for you to-" he started but was cut off when Isaac joined us.

He placed a hand on my lower back but I pushed it away, standing further from the boy. "Is everything okay?" Isaac asked, looking between my brother and I.

"Everything's fine." I told him with no expression. "I've got to get this rat home before our Mam sees he's gone."

"I'll walk you both home then." He offered, but I knew I had to decline.

"Thank you, Isaac. But no. I'll see you tomorrow." I quietly said before pecking his cheek with a kiss.