sworn rivalry ― 1.0

The first time you meet Monoma Neito, you've already decided he's an insufferable bastard. After your short-lived and unpleasant interaction with him, you know he's going to make your life a living hell. Even as a young child, you know how to separate people you like, and people you dislike. Monoma is definitely on the latter list.

It's lunch, and you find yourself kneeling on the grass with your friend Kendo, cookie crumbs long forgotten on your cheeks, squealing and giggling as the two of you fidget with your toys together. The screaming of kids and laughter envelop your surroundings, but you pay them no mind. Now that you're playing with your friend, there's nothing else that can distract you.

"Watch out!" You mimic a deep, masculine voice as the airplane toy clutched in your hand swerves downwards, straight into your friend's collection of figurines. She gasps dramatically, before grabbing the figures and making them frantically move to the side. But she only has two hands and there are eight figurines. Her eyes widen, and she looks up to you with a grin.

"Oh no, one person's left behind!" She then grabbed the last figurine, squeezing it gently. "Help! Help me!''

With a snicker, you dropped the airplane momentarily and swapped it with a superhero figurine with spiky tufts of blonde hair, sharp blue eyes, and a wide grin. Then, clearing your throat, you imitate the character's voice. ''It is fine now. Why? Because I am here!" Just as you raise your hand with the figurine, you frown as it's suddenly torn away from your fingers.

"Huh?" There's a pair of white sneakers at your side that weren't there before. Raising your gaze from the grass, you meet the gaze of an unfamiliar blonde boy. He looks around your age, but there's something about his eyes that makes you suspicious as if he's up to something.

Then your eyes avert to his raised hand, and you stand up quickly.

"Hey! That's my toy, give it back." The boy shook his head in response, a playful grin on his lips.

"No, I don't think so," he lowers his gaze to the toy and examines it carefully. You clench your fists, resisting the urge to stomp your feet. "I like it, I think I'll keep it!" He smiles and you grit your teeth in frustration.

"I don't care. It's mine, and you took it without permission. Give it back!" Quickly losing your patience, you lunge forward and try to rip it off his hands, but the boy easily sidesteps your movement.

"My name is Monoma Neito. And yours is?" He looks absolutely disinterested and way too cocky for a seven-year-old, which only makes you angrier.

"Y/N L/N," you respond, attempting to at least keep your manners intact. "Now, can you give me back my toy, please?" Monoma stares at you blankly for a few minutes, and you begin to shift on your feet under his silent stare. Finally, you scowl and tap your foot against the grass.

"Why are you staring at me?''

''You have food crumbs on both sides of your mouth." He said bluntly, and your eyes widened. Quickly lowering your head to dab at the corner of your lips, your face feels warm and hot as your fingers brush against said food crumbs.

"Are they gone?" You ask, raising your head once you're done. But to your surprise, Monoma was nowhere to be seen. You saw a dash of blonde to your left and raced after him, muttering an apology to your friend before leaving the playground and stepping into a classroom you saw him slip into.

Your shoes slap against the grass and then the marble flooring as you step into the classroom, eyes sweeping over the entire room. There's a teacher's desk at your farthest left, with a teacher leaning against it. Then your eyes spot the familiar head of blonde ducking beneath a desk at the back of the class, and you scowl.

"Hey! Monoma! Give me back my toy!" The boy's eyes widen in alarm and he attempts to scramble out of the desk, but you're quick to race forward and grab his arm just in time, trying to pull the toy out of his hand. But his grip is strong and determined, and both of you are grumbling and whining while fighting over the figurine.

"Kids!" You remember that there's a teacher in the classroom watching both of you and embarrassment along with panic washes over you. Monoma seems to realize this as well, dropping the toy from his grip. You quickly snatch it up, holding it up to your chest protectively.

"Now, what do you two think you're doing?" The authoritative tone of the teacher makes you gulp as you turn around.

"Monoma stole my toy outside and I came here to get it back!" You blurted out. Monoma huffed to your side, crossing his arms.

"Did not."

"Did too!" You quipped back, growing frustrated again.

"Alright, alright, calm down kids." The teacher frowned and looked down at both of you.

"I want both of you to apologize to each other. Monoma, apologize for taking Y/N's toy. Y/N, apologize to Monoma for treating him roughly."

"What? But-!" You protested, but the teacher silenced you with a strict stare that left no space for discussion.

You sighed, turning around to meet Monoma. "Fine..." Twiddling with your shirt, you frowned and met the boy's gaze. "I'm sorry for being rough with you." The blonde nodded at your apology and pulled his hands out of his shorts pockets.

"And I'm sorry for taking your toy without your permission," he muttered, scratching his head while doing so. You nodded in acknowledgment, and the teacher clapped her hands together.

"Very well, you two! Now, please get back to your classrooms before lunch is over." The two of you began to walk out of the classroom when Monoma stopped at the entrance and looked towards you.

"You still have crumbs on your face." He noted.

"Shut up." You grumbled, before stomping away towards your class, Monoma's amused laughter ringing in your ears as you walked away. 

A/N: What do you think? :) Like + comment if you enjoyed <3