haste endings & new beginnings ― 5.0

You can't sleep. So you decide to step out of your cabin, draping a sweater over your nightclothes, bare feet pressing against the soft grass. It must be midnight you think, by the lack of campers outdoors and the soft chirping of crickets.

Your body feels rather sticky, so you decide to walk to the camp's lake. There doesn't seem to be any supervisors on night patrol, but you still rush to the lake. But much to your surprise, the pier isn't empty. Your heart skips a beat at the sight of Monoma sitting at the edge of the pier, legs dipped in the lake. You can only see his back, his head tilted towards the sky as his legs sway in the water.

As quietly as you can, although some wooden planks creak with every step you take, Monoma doesn't turn around- you assume it's not too loud or he's distracted. You reach the edge of the pier, and sit down next to him.

"Hey," you murmur. The blonde doesn't seem to notice your presence until you greet him. His eyes widen momentarily, but then there's a slight glare in his eyes as he looks your way.

"Hello." He says, and you almost grimace at how dry and short he's being with you.

"Listen...can we talk?" And he only nods, parting his lips open.

"Yeah. But uh," and he scratches the back of his head. "Can I tell you something first?''

You nod, heart racing in anticipation. Monoma sighs and his eyes avert to the lake.

''I'm sorry for what I said to you that night. It was uncalled for and unnecessary. I was...jealous," he gnawed on his bottom lip. "And I'm sorry for hurting you.''

His apology soothes your nerves and you smile. ''Thank you.''

But then he's clearing his throat, kicking his feet in the water. ''And I don't expect you to reciprocate my feelings, but I got jealous after seeing you with Inasa. Seeing you smile and laugh with him..." He paused, head tilting upwards.

''Made me realize that I'm in love with you."

Oh. You don't know how to feel. Shock goes through your body, jaw slackened as your heart beats impossibly fast, and you feel a swarm of butterflies awaken in your stomach.

You can't even speak. And Monoma doesn't seem confident with your silence, so he speaks again.

''And I don't ex-expect you to feel the same way or anything," he's stammering at this point, which makes you smile; he's nervous.

''But I wanted to tell you. If you want to stop being friends..." he takes a deep breath before meeting your eyes. His blue eyes are shining in the moonlight, and you can't find it in yourself to pull away from them. ''I'd completely understand.''

''I just... needed to tell you. I know you don't feel the same way but-" you cut him off before he can continue, lips gently pressing against his. You pull away with a small grin on your lips, watching his eyes widen as his face blooms red.

"Uh..." And he's speechless, the tip of his ears burning red, and you laugh.

"Hey," You press a finger to his lips, effectively silencing him. "I don't know who told you that I don't feel the same way about you," and you shake your head, laughing in disbelief.

''But whoever told you is an idiot. Can't you see, Monoma?" And you smile, lifting your finger from his lips. ''I like you too.''

And then he's stammering, before he slowly regains his composure, taking a deep breath.

''Right," and he's fixing his shirt, and you giggle. "Of course. Thank you for uh," his arm goes to his neck, scratching it awkwardly. "Clarifying that.''