Sadness and betrayal

The train journey on the way to Yato's house was a very quiet one. Other than Natsu being sick, the two of them had been left alone to their thoughts, making the quiet silence seem very eerie to them. They had both gotten used to each other's company, so the silence was very odd.

When they got off the train and started heading towards Yato's house, Natsu's mind was spinning with a lot of questions for himself, questions that he couldn't even think to answer because he was scared of what he might think of to himself.

Was he upset with his team? Was he going to be able to forgive them, or was this the final straw? A wave of sadness, loneliness and betrayal washed over him, dampening his already dark mood. He hadn't felt this way since Igneel had left him alone. The dragon that had given him promises of never leaving him, of always being there to be his 'father.' But that all changed one day when he had woken up. He was no longer there, Natsu couldn't even smell him. All he left was the scarf made from his scales and a broken hearted boy.

Then he had found Makarov and the crazy guild called Fairy Tail. The tiny old man had shown him love that he hadn't seen in a long time after Igneel had just up and left him. He gave him a new home and a place to walk among humans as he had just been so used to living with a dragon. He had perfected his reading and writing skills under the old man and he had taught him all the manners he needed. He met other kids his own age, Erza, his rival Gray and his best friend, Lisanna who had been his first crush, and he thought that things would run smoothly forever.

But they didn't.

The second time he felt so alone was when Lisanna had 'died.' He wept and sobbed and punched many things for months down the line. She was his best friend, the first girl he had come to love. She was the only one who well and truly cared for him, listened to him, mocked him and smiled softly at him. Although he blushed and told her to shut up, he really did think that she was the girl that he was going to marry when they were older.

But she had slipped right through his fingers at the time. She was gone and there was no way of getting her back. She was dead, her siblings thrown into sorrow, but Natsu had lost another important person in his life again and he didn't know how much grief he could take. He had run into the forest that night without Happy and had fallen asleep in the makeshift house that the two of them made, his face wet with tears.

Two years later, Natsu had met Lucy and he had fallen for her almost in an instant. She reminded him of Lisanna, but then he found that she was way more than that. She brought light into his life. He loved her, but he was just way too shy to show it or even tell anyone about it, so he did stupid stuff like barging into her house unannounced to show that she was on his mind every minute of every day, even going as far as to sneak into her bed.

It didn't really work out because she hated that sort of stuff and then to top it all off, Erza and Gray started showing up at her house as well! Lucy never saw him in that way, the way that he saw her and somehow, here she was, with Gray.

That led to the third time of him feeling betrayed. Lucy was his partner, his teammate, they were part of the original trio before Erza and Gray joined, but yet, here was, giving Gray all the attention, and even dating him. He just didn't understand why that couldn't be him she was with. What did the stripper have that he didn't? Was it the fact that he didn't strip? He wanted to scream at the ice mage and tell him that Lucy was his, but he soon came to realise that she wasn't. It wasn't anybody else's fault but his own that he fell in love with Lucy. He did it without thinking, because hey, he was in love, but at the end of the day, he couldn't blame Gray for all his suffering.

So he hid behind his mask once more. The mask that he wore when he found out that his best friend had just died. Happy, his best friend who was always by his side had never even noticed the mask that he wore, the silly goofy fake smile that he had plastered on his face despite the pain that went on through his heart. He didn't know why people just assumed he was always fine.