Chapter 1

Sammy's POV

I hate weddings. With the high rate of divorce and the dishonesty of the human heart, it is a wonder people still go through it. Why would you marry someone knowing fully well that human beings are fickle, life is fleeting and eros love has a shelf life? I think there are exceptions to the latter though, those being my friends. Keith, as much as an asshole he can be, found someone that makes him want to be a better person. Leo too got lucky and hit the jackpot. I am happy for them, really I am, because why else would I be sitting at the pool side watching Leo and Iyana exchange rings with a smile on my face hoping with my fingers crossed that it wouldn't blow up in their faces somewhere along the line?

I rubbed my palms together and took deep breaths to calm the storm I feel within every time I attend a wedding. I felt caged in and couldn't wait to leave. I heard the sound of children playing and turned to look at them. Keith's rug rats and Amari who was dressed in a cute white dress made for the flower girl. After all these years, Keith being a father and husband is still one of the strangest thing ever and the fact that he was the first of us three to take that step is shocking. Granted, he didn't do it because he wanted to and he was a dick about it but as time went by, I watched him change from this guy who could be a total asshole to this guy who could try not to be an asshole.

I always imagined Leo would be the first since he was the nice guy but one thing I have learnt is that women don't like nice guys. The assholes, they prefer. But those ones that would actually stand right by them and respect them, nah. Once again, there are exceptions but generally, good guys finish last. So after his messy breakup with that chick, whatever her name was, that was it for him for years. I like to think I played a role in getting them together but I don't think I really did anything. It was all him. But when I told him to get together with her, I meant for fucks and not a goddamn marriage. I should have seen it coming. After all, he had never been a one night stander.

I realized I had zoned out again when I heard people clapping and cheering while the couple kissed. I let out a sigh of relief. It is a done deal. If I decide to take off later, no one would complain. The reception rolled in and for multiple reasons, I couldn't leave as early as I thought I would. So I sat through it. A kid next to me was playing on an outdated PSP. That caught my attention. It wasn't that they were playing a game that caught my attention but the game itself. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. It was one of my favourite things to do back then. After watching a while, it occured to me they were stuck in a particular level, so I said "Switch to a bowgun"

"I can't really use one."  They mumbled.

"Do you want me to show you how? You should learn how to use at least one bowgun. It's more resistant to elemental attacks" I said, wondering if it's weird that instead of concentrating on my best friend's reception I was busy playing a game with an unknown child.

"Yes please" they replied before giving me the device and watching me like a hawk. I guess they were scared I'd run off with the device. I looked at them and I couldn't tell if they were a boy or a girl and I wasn't going to ask because it was none of my business. Instead I focused on the game. I showed them how to use the bowgun, cleared the level and returned it to them. It didn't take long before one of the servers came and called them away.

"Bye mister." They said quietly with a smile, which I returned.

"Bye." I replied before pulling out my phone and that occupied the rest of my time until Leo and Iyana began mingling with the guests. That was when I finally looked up and took in what was before my eyes. People were beginning to leave and once again, I realised I had somehow managed to zone out through the reception. Keith and Danica put the kids to bed and finally, we all got together to actually drink.