Chapter 12

I woke up around 5am the next morning. After laying in bed for minutes, I got out of bed and took out my light blanket from my unpacked box. Grabbing my phone, I left the room and went to the living room to watch something on the telly. It wasn't the same with what I had but I soon figured out how to use it. After flipping through the channels and finding nothing interesting, I switched to Netflix, hoping that he subscribed. Lucky for me, he did. I settled in and continued watching The Good Doctor from where I stopped. I must have fallen asleep at some point because I woke up to Sammy touching my forehead which confused the hell out of me. The sun was up.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I stretched and yawned. He wasn't frowning, which was a good thing.

"Sorry. Did I wake you? Are you okay? Why did you sleep on the couch?" He asked as he pulled his hand back, trying not to look embarrassed.  He probably didn't think I'd wake up with his hand on my forehead. Honestly, Sammy isn't a hateful person. He's laid-back and honest about his feelings, hates going back and forth with people and tries not to keep things in. But in my case, he was back and forth. He wanted to hate me and hurt me but I guess that kept clashing with his usual self and resulted in the constant irritation he felt. He's polite, then rude. He's almost nice, then completely unkind. It was hard to keep up with, which was why I was a bit confused that morning. It was a complete 360 from his behaviour the previous afternoon.

"No. Is something wrong? Where's Cora?"

"She's in my room. She discovered my bookcase this morning and she has been there since then." He replied with a laugh, which I awkwardly returned and he cleared his throat before speaking again. "Can we talk about Cora's school situation? I'm sorry for waking you up but time's flying by and I have an ongoing project I would like to get back to, and I can't do that until I'm sure everything is as it should be." He said and I nodded before sitting up. I scratched my neck and yawned again before nodding again.

"Sure. I'll be back in 10." I replied before going to my room. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth before washing my face. I looked at my reflection in the mirror as I dried my face with a towel and caught sight of the ring on my finger. I couldn't help but notice he didn't have his ring on, so I thought it best to take mine off too. I peed and flushed and then washed my hands before taking the ring off. It came off easily because my fingers were wet. I put it on the table in my room and pulled on a robe before returning to the living room.

When I sat, there was silence before he then cleared his throat again. "Do you want breakfast first or..."

"Let's just get it over with." I replied, mentally steeling myself in advance.

"Alright. Well..." he began but I cut him off because I had to ask. My mind kept going back to him checking my temperature and offering me breakfast. "Why are you being nice to me?" I asked and he blinked once, then twice before cracking his knuckles. I wondered what was going on in his mind. "First of all..I would like to apologize for yesterday." My eyes widened in shock as I tightened my fists. What?

"I was mean and it was uncalled for. I spent most of the night reflecting on my actions and I am so sorry for what I said yesterday. I don't think I hate you but I know I was very upset and tried to get my own pound of flesh. Instead of satisfying me, it left me feeling shitty. It made me feel like I was tainting my soul. I don't know what you're dealing with and I don't want to cause more problems for you. So, I'm sorry for my words and actions."

"Oh." I said, shocked my his apology and thankful for it at the same time. "Uhmm... thank you." I was moved by his apology, and at the same time shamed. I wronged this man and he reacted in a nasty manner but felt bad and apologised. I, on the other hand, the one who wronged it over and over again, instead of apologising for what I did, I made it about me again. "Thank you for your apology, which is definitely accepted. And I'm sorry for everything. I know it's not enough. I convinced myself that the words wouldn't be enough. Maybe that's why I never said them all along but I really am sorry."