Chapter 9

I tore the box open with enthusiasm and swallowed the laughter that wanted to leave my throat when I saw the content. Fake cockroaches. I counted them and thanked the vendor in my head. 20 fake cockroaches. Just what I ordered. Taking the box with me, I tiptoed down the short hall and slowly opened the door. I held my breath as the door made a small whiny sound and I took a mental note of the need for lubrication.
When it was wide enough for me to go through, I tiptoed into the room. The lump under the blanket laid there unmoving. I could see hair peaking out from beneath the blanket. I raised it and put some on the pillow. Pushing my hand further under the blanket, Warm air hit my hand  a little and I placed some of it there. I froze when she moved and only moved again when it settled down. I poured the rest over the blanket and the rest of the bed, hid in a corner and then called her phone.
I heard it vibrate under the covers and had to press my hand against my mouth to hold in the laughter that threatened to choke me.
"Any moment now." I thought as a searching hand began moving under the blanket. Few seconds later, there was a piercing scream as the cover was pushed back and she tried to get out of bed.

"Oh God! Ewww!! Oh my God!!" She screamed as she struggled to get out of the bed. I laughed quietly through my nose, but my laugh was cut short when her legs tangled with the blanket and she fell with a thud. I rushed over to where she was and before I could say a word, she spat. 'It got into my mouth!!' And I was sure she was okay. I pulled her up with a laugh and when she really looked at them and realised they were plastic, small fists attacked me.
"I'll kill you you big silly shit!!!" She screamed like a banshee and I laughed harder and I held her hands behind her but then she began flailing and kicking.     "I will rip you apart. Cockroaches? Next to a sleeping person? I will send you back to hell where you came from."
Finally, the fight left and she glared at me while breathing hard before dissolving into laughter. Gently placing her on the bed, I got onto her with my hips in-between her legs.
"I'll have to wash your mouth out with soap before sending you back to your parents this Christmas. You swear like a sailor for such a dainty looking young lady." I said and she laughed with a snort. Another thing she will mask when she goes home for the holidays.
"It's your fault I'm this way. Babe these pranks have got to go. I don't want to die before my time. My heart is beating irregularly as we speak." She whined and I bopped her nose.
"You started it."
"All I did was buy a fake snake."
"Because you knew I'm deathly afraid of snakes."
"Except the one in your pants."
"Except the one in my...babe! No! Stop with the black penis jokes. You know I don't like them." I said with a groan, burying my face in her neck.
"Payback for the cockroaches. You're lucky I didn't put shaving cream in your shampoo. Bye bye years devoted to healthy locs." She said with an evil smile as she pulled the stray rope sticking out from one of the tails of my durag. I laughed out loud at the expression on her face. She was having too much fun and it was infectious.
"And I'm the devil?" I asked, referring to her earlier statement.
"You made me what I am today." She said with a smug expression and I snickered. That was such a lie. She had always been that way. She just wasn't didn't show it. "Seriously, babe. White flag. I want peace. No more pranks. Please?"
"Kiss me with enough passion to show how much you want me to stop and I'll think about it." I replied with a grin and she rolled her eyes before pulling me in.

I opened my eyes and found myself in a dark quiet room. The only source of light in there came from the LED light duck figurines on the desk. I rolled over and looked at the clock on the wall. 6:15am. It's funny how I dreamt of the past the day I was getting married, something that hadn't happened in such a long time. I remained in bed for what felt like hours, my head floating between the past and the present until I heard my phone buzz and that fully brought me back to the present. I checked the caller ID. Leo.