Chapter 5

He laughed like I just told the funniest joke he had ever heard. My face and neck heat up in embarrassment and I bit my lip. He looked at me and the laughter intensified. Fuck my life.

"What the fuck?" he said and that was when our orders were brought to the table. He took a bite of his muffin, chased it down with some coffee and then looked at me. I couldn't even take a sip of the content of my own cup. "You're hilarious. This is why you called me out of my house in the middle of the day?" He said and I wished the earth would open up and swallow me.

"I'm serious." I said because I didn't know what else to say.

"Sure you are" he said with a bored tone and the shame I felt got thicker. I blamed myself for calling him. I blamed myself for everything. "If you want some money, just ask. I'm not a mean person. I'll help if you need help regardless of how murky things are between us. You don't need to lie. How much do you need?" He asked and I felt sick.

"I'm serious." I repeated and he rolled his eyes.

"Look, Ji-Ho. I get it. I'm stupid, I get it. For years, I proved it by ignoring the red flags. Meeting up with you this afternoon was also exteremly stupid of me. But even if I'm stupid, I'm not blind. When did you bail on me? 10 years ago if I'm not mistaken. Your child doesn't look that old. You can't just pass off another man's child on me and expect me to believe you just because she's a mixed child with some afrocentric features." He said, getting angry for the first time since he arrived  "What do you take me for?"

I pulled out my phone and opened my gallery. I opened one of the numerous pictures of my daughter, placed the phone on the table and slid it over to him. I waited until he looked at the picture before talking again. I began telling him about her.

"Her name is Cora. Cora Aera Smith. I named her Cora because you once said you'd like our daughter to bear that name if we had one. She was born on December 12 and will be 10 in few months time. She looks like you and your mum but like me, she looks younger than her age and has a small stature. I had her when I was still married. I didn't know I was pregnant for you until she was born. She's an introvert and is really organised. She loves animals and has an old dog she named Eli. Eli is 11 and deaf and sleeps in her bed every night. You both love Maths and games but unlike you she's really quiet." At that, he cut me off by raising his hand.

"Stop. Just stop." He said, an unnamed emotion in his eyes. "If she's really mine, why did you wait this long to let me know?"

"At first, I didn't know where to find you."

"Bullshit. That's bullshit. You left me somewhere. You could have gone back there."

"I did. I went back. I searched for you but I couldn't find you. I waited around for days until I asked your neighbor and they said you left town. I didn't have any money, so I couldn't pay anyone to find you. I.." my breath caught in my chest as tears welled up in my eyes. "I'm sorry."

"I don't believe a word of what you just said. I want a DNA test. If she's truly mine, then you'll tell me your real reason for keeping her from me for 10 years." He said with so much venom in his voice I flinched. He signalled the waiter for the bill. I pulled out my purse so I could pay but the glare he sent my way chilled me to the bones.

"I should pay since I called you out here." I said softly and he chuckled.

"I'm sure you have money Mrs Lee. Always have. Always will. I may not have as much as you do but I can pay for my coffee." He mocked me and the waiter looked uncomfortable standing there. He paid for his order, I paid for mine. "I'll text you the time and address. If the result comes out positive, I'll let you know where we go from there. Have a good day Mrs Lee."