Chapter 6

Sammy's POV

A nudge against my foot broke me out of my thoughts and I looked up to see Keith giving me a questioning look. I realised I had been looking at the framed family picture on his desk and sighed.

"You've been staring at that picture for a while now. Which one do you want me to ship to your house? One of the cats or one of the kids?" He teased and I rolled my eyes. I have this habit of going to my friends' work place during lunch hour and they're kind enough to accommodate me.

"You're so boring. When will Leo return from his honeymoon? I haven't spoken to them since they landed." I asked and he placed his hand on his chest, feigning hurt.

"You wound me Sammy. You wound me. My feelings are hurt." He said dramatically and I laughed for the first time in what feels like weeks. "For real what has you tied up in knots?" He finally asked seriously and I sighed again for the millionth time.

"I may have a kid."

"What?"

"Yup. A kid."

"What the...you had sex without a condom? Aren't we too old to be that reckless?"  He asked and I looked away. Ji-Ho and I never used condoms when we had sex after the first time because she had an allergic reaction to it. So we relied on the pill and pull out. To think that Cora is most likely my child scared and hurt me at the same time. I was scared because I didn't want to be a shitty dad and I was hurt because I had missed out on almost 10 years of her life.

"She was allergic and so we didn't. But that's not the point." I finally replied and Keith groaned.

"How old is the kid?"

"Almost 10."

"What the fuck?"

"Same thing I said when I finally processed it. I met her at the wedding."

"Leo's wedding?"

"Yeah."

"The kid you were playing a game with?"

"Yes! That kid. She came with the food people. They forgot the servers and I returned them since Leo wasn't around to do it. Guess who the head chef was? Taboo topic."

"No freaking way. Small world." I felt horrible within me, wondering if I was like my father who left my mum and I behind. I rubbed my face down with my palm and then shook my head, asking myself why I was panicking before seeing the DNA result. She may not even be yours I thought but then I remembered her eyes and I just knew she's mine. I insisted on a DNA test because I didn't trust Ji-Ho and didn't want to believe she'd do something like that to me but after looking at Cora closely that day in the park, I finally saw the resemblance Ji-Ho mentioned. But better safe than sorry. Just incase my mind was playing tricks on me and imagining a resemblance.

"You know you never told us what happened between you two. Was it so bad? I'm asking because you're going to be co-parents. It won't work out well if there's so much resentment between you two because the kid will be the one to pay the price."

"I'm over what she did. Nothing serious happened between us. I wasn't a priority and she took off." I said vaguely. I wasn't going to air all our dirty linens outside before we talked. "But the fact that I'm just hearing this rubs me raw. If it's true, it means I missed out on 9 years of my daughter's life. I missed every developmental milestone your kids are currently going through."

"Ouch. How do you forgive something like that?" He asked and I remained quiet because I didn't have a response. How indeed do you forgive being kept from your child? Instead of focusing on that, I decided to think of how we will do it. It should be possible to put it aside to raise your kid together. Before I could reply, my phone vibrated and I checked it. I have an ongoing project, so I check my phone whenever there's a ping or vibration to make sure I don't miss anything important.