☮️6🙊

We arrived at Aunt Laide's house about two hours after we met her. Her house like every other upper class family in Lagos was located in the high brow region of Lekki.

Aunt Laide's house was in those sort of estates were they had to stop you to know who you're going to visit and also call and confirm from whichever resident it was, all secure and posh.

Pressing her car horn, she turns back to smile at us, "You guys will like Remi and Dami." She says as a teenage boy opens the gate and judging by facial resemblance its Dami, Aunt Laide's son.

" Don't tell me that's Dami!" Mum exclaims which brings out an eye roll for me, because honestly judging from the resemblance anyone can tell that that's Aunt Laide's child.

"Yes ooo, he's the one." Aunt Laide replies proudly, "He's so grown!" mum says and Aunt Laide smiles as she drives in and parks.

"Dami come and grest Aunty Aisha and your cousin's. Where's Remi? Remiiiiiiiiii‼!" Aunt Laide says as she gets down and we also alight from the car.

"Good evening ma." Dami says when he's done closing the gate and mum smiles at him "Evening my dear. You're so grown! I remember the last time I saw you, so small!" mum says and he just stands there and smiles sheepishly.

"Miriam, Yinka, won't you guys come and greet your cousin?" mum asks and we move towards them.

"Hey." Dami says waving and Yinka nods before replying with his own hey, I simply wave. "I'm Yinka, she's Miriam." Yinka says telling his usual lame joke to break the ice bit as always it works and Dami laughs.

"Has everyone ever mistaken you for Miriam?" he asks and Yinka smiles, "When we were little and it was embarrassing." He says as we follow Dami to the car boot to bring out our luggage and carry with him.

"She doesn't talk much does she?" Dami asks looking at me and Yinka smiles "Try not all. She's a selective mute." He answers and Dami nods "Okayyyy...maybe you can explain what that means to me later." He says opening a room door.

"This is your room, the one next door is Yinka's own and the last one is your mum's." He says to me and I nod signing my thanks.

"She's saying thank you Dami."a voice says and we all turn to see a girl coming towards us, like Deji there's a lot of resemblance to her mother making it easy to know who she is.

"Guys this is Remi my older sister. Remi this is Yinka and Miriam. Miriam's a selective mute according to Yinka." Dami introduces us and I wave why Yinka greets.

"You know ASL?" Yinka asks knowing that that's what I'll want to ask. "Just a bit." Remi answers smiling, "I learnt it as an extracurricular activity last year, Dami learnt takwondo." She explains and I nod.

" Nice to meet you." I sign and she grins "Likewise, we're going to have so much fun together. You guys should freshen up and come downstairs, we'll be having dinner soon." She says and I turn to face Yinka.

" I'll come and wake you up lazy ass." He says and I grin as I walk intoy room and wave before closing the door.

"What's selective mute?" I hear Dami ask as they walk off.

"So we'll be going to see the house on Friday so you can decide if you want anything changed." Aunt Laide says in between sips of coke and spoonfuls of rice and turkey.

"There's a house already?" I sign and mum nods, 'That is kind of fast.. really fast." I sign and Aunt Laide and her children look from me to mum and then to Yinka.

"Miriam is surprised that there's already a house available." Mum explains softly and Aunt Laide hisses "Hooorrr, that's small thing when there's money. Once your mum informed me that you'll be returning, I immediately started searching for a house, the moment I found I texted her and she sent me the money." She explains and I nod slowly.

"This was not just something that was brought up because of Yinka wanting to know his roots was it?" I sign and mum gives a small smile, "It was part of it." She answers and I stare at Yinka who avoids my gaze.

Clicking my tongue I return back to my meal, "Are you done with your conversation?" Aunt Laide asks and mum nods "Well in regards to their education, I was thinking that they could join Dami at DIS." She says and mum frowns.

"DiS?" she asks and Aunt Laide nods "Ehn, Debisol International School. It's one of the most prestigious school around here,, that's where Remi finished from two years back. They're the best." She says and mum nods, "Alright we'll check it out, I just want a place that'll be comfortable for Mimi." She says and Aunty Laide smiles.

"I asked about that too, some of their students take sign language education as an extracurricular activity, and she's allowed to communicate with the aid of a jotter and pen." She says and mum smiles. "Thank you so much Laide, I honestly don't know how I'd have done this l without your help and support." Mum says and Aunt Laide shakes her head.

"There's absolutely nothing to thank me for Aisha, afterall I know you'd have done the same thing if you were in my position and you've done more than this for me, afterall it was you who helped me get back on my feet after my husband was shot in the line of duty.i owe you a whole lot more than this." She says before they switch the topic to news on relatives and I focus on my food all the while thinking about two women who had lost their husbands to one country.