☮️12🙊

“So how is the school like?” mum asks and I shrug, focusing on tomatoes that I was slicing.

      “Can I have my friends over tomorrow?” Yinka asks and mum raises a brow “Its your first week there and you’re already having friends over, things must be good then.” She says smiling.

     Rolling my eyes, I place the sliced tomatoes on the counter and I leave the kitchen signing that I’ll be back.

“Miriam’s not having it easy is she?” I hear mum ask and tsking I move to my bed and collapse on it. Sighing I run my hands through my hair.

 Mum was right, I wasn’t having it easy like Yinka. Being the new girl was hard enough without the added stress of making friends was tough who you couldn’t speak to. Sure I hung around with IB and her friends and also with Helen who still thinks that Yinka has a girlfriend, but still…it was different.

       They could be discussing something and even though I was following it, I couldn’t get any input. It was just as it was abroad, just this time worse..at least there most people could use ASL….

       There’s a knock on my door before mum opens the door, “Yinka you can come in.” She says before moving to lie on my bed and Yinka comes in with a tray.

        “What’s going on?” I sign and Yinka shrugs “Amebo.” He says and mum hisses “We’re here to gist about our various weeks.” She says and I raise a brow.

  “With the whole stress of moving in and setting up my office here in Lagos, we didn’t have time to do so through out. So we’re doing it now, who’s starting?” she asks and I and Yinka shake our heads.

      “Alright then. You’ve left me with no choice then.. innie minnie mannie mo..” she begins as we laugh..

            “You’re sure that you don’t want to invite any friend?” mum asks as I hand her handbag and I give an exaggerated sigh “I don’t have friends.” I sign as I follow her outside so I’ll lock the gate.

       “What of IB and Helen?” she asks and I shrug “Classmate and seatmate.” I sign as she unlocks the car door and she gives a sigh “I’m fine so stop worrying.” I sign and she nods “Its just that I want you to have friends the way Yinka has..you know lie to me about going to the library when you’re actually going to a party.” She says and I raise a brow.

         “You want me to lie to you?” I ask and she shakes her head “Not literally, I was just giving an instance.” She amends and I nod my head “I’ll be sure to remind you of this instance when I eventually follow it.” I sign and she laughs.

       “I’m fine, you should stop worrying if you don’t want wrinkles.” I sign and she nods “I’ll try.” She says and I go to open the gate.

       When I get back inside, Yinka’s already waiting for me and I give him a questioning look “Do you know where the key for the wine cupboard is?” he asks and I frown “What do you need it for? Is it not just Dami and what’s his name that’s coming over?” I ask and he gives me his mischievous smile.

“I may have downplayed the situation for mum. Dami and Jake are coming over to help me prepare for the party that we’re throwing here.” He says and I nod “Okay. Goodluck.” I sign before heading upstairs to my bedroom.

      “Meems naa, help out your brother..” he pleads following me up, “With what naa?” I sign as he enters my room “The key naa.” He answers and I scoff, “Better ask one of your friends to buy or tell those attending to bring as they’re coming. Last I checked they don’t need ID's to buy alcohol here.” I reply.

        “Ahn Ahn, they’ll now think I’m cheap or stingy.” He protests and I shake my head “Not if you tell them that thats how it’s done abroad.” I advise and he hisses before leaving my room.

   Few minutes later I hear a knock on the gate and I move to the window to check who’s there when Yinka steps out to open it.

When he steps back to let the people at the gate in, Dami steps in dressed in a simple ash jogger and an orange tee shirt holding a school back, while the dark skinned boy who i assumed to be Jake is dressed in a black distressed jeans with a simple white button up shirt.

       After greeting themselves in their usual weird greeting that consists of back slaps, head pushing and some weird form of handshake, they head inside and I drag myself back to my bed and pick up the book I was reading.

Getting bored after some time, I decide to check up on how the boys are doing in setting up for their party and head downstairs.

“Hey Meems!” Dami greets noticing me from where he was untangling a bunch of wires and I wave “Hey Miriam, you look good but you’re not attending the party looking like that. Or are you?” Jake who has changed his clothes to a pair of basketball shorts and a faded black tee shirt asks and I shrug looking down at myself, I was wearing a pair of mum’s cutoff jean short which I had secured around my waist with a shoe lace and a black crochet bratop.

      “She’s not attending because she’s not invited.” Yinka calls out as he pushes the couch back to make more space in the living room area.

      “That’s going to be hard since it’s my house that it’s happening in.” I point out as I notice how they’re slowly transforming the house to look like a club; coloured lights everywhere, balloons and streamers, more speakers and a DJ stand.

       “Tough luck then.” He mutters and I scoff “I should be saying that to you because last time I checked you don’t have any alcohol.” I sign and he gives me the finger.

    “When you’re desperate enough to make me a deal come and find me.” I sign getting up from the couch and heading back to my room.

Picking my book up again, I give a small laugh, it was things like this that made being the responsible child worth it and  I think before I start reading.