15 - Appreciation

- Toby -

Her smile is bright, contagious and genuine. Chipping away at the ice of my frozen heart that has begun to thaw against the usual cold that resides within me.

I watch her smile from my periphery as we drive to a nearby diner while the last of the sun sets. Her eyes never leave the widow of my car, the orange glow in the sky softening her features as it casts over her skin. I can't help but smile when she smiles. And I can't remember the last time I felt so light with anyone.

And the strange thing about it? I don't exactly hate the feeling either.

I didn't want to leave her alone this evening. It doesn't take a genius to realise she wasn't quite feeling herself. And knowing that her being alone was a big part of the problem, I thought I'd take her mind off of the things troubling her and spend some time with her instead. Taking her to what is currently my favourite place to be was the best choice and I'm relieved I was able to do something after all she's already done for me.

It felt different there with her presence, though, like I was experiencing being there for the first time again.

We reminisced about how a sunset is one of the most beautiful things anyone could lay their eyes on-- the ending of a day somewhere, dying out as the ball of fire in the sky sinks, staring a new day elsewhere, painting its colours across the sky and weaving through the clouds. The cycle is fascinating, really. The way Alice shared her views with me made me want to listen to her opinions on anything all day. She speaks in such a way that the words wouldn't sound the same coming from anyone else, in a way that could make the ugliest seem extraordinary.

I shake my thoughts out of my head. I have no idea why I'm so enamoured with her. A part of me is afraid of getting too close, of being left and hurt, but an ever-growing part of me really doesn't care. The potential hurt would be worth it. She's worth it.

The girl in question softly taps her hands against her thighs in beat to the song on the radio as I pull into Frank's Diner. We simultaneously step out of the car, walking into the diner side-by-side. It's pretty empty, few waiters cleaning tables as a soft hum of music plays, more mellow that the usual lively music during the daytime.

"Where would you like to sit?" Alice gestures to the numerous empty spaces in the room, almost making me jump at the sound of her voice as I hadn't realised we'd stopped still in the doorway. She's been quiet since we got into the car and I wonder if something's on her mind.

Maybe she's bored and wants to go home and is too polite to say?

"Uh, you choose, I don't mind." I shrug, swallowing my doubts as she beams at me, a small reassurance. I'm just overthinking.

She leads us to a booth in the corner of the room and we take a seat, looking through the menu. I peak up at her from the paper in my hands and notice her eyes lifting to clash with mine in the same moment. Her cheeks tint a pink and looks away.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I just caught you staring. Again." I tease, knowing she wasn't staring, but wanting to hear her voice, her laughter. Even if she's roasting me.

As I wished, she lets out a snicker. "Oh please, in your dreams, buddy."

I laugh with her, our eyes meeting again as we sit there just smiling. Our contact is broken by a throat clearing above us and I look up to see a waiter standing before us, a bored expression on his face.

"May I take your order?" He lifts a notepad and pen up, barely glancing at us.

I watch as Alice fumbles over her menu and I hold back a chuckle, deciding to order first. "I'll have a burger and fries. And a coke, please."