3 - Library Collisions

- Alice -

The morning sun beams down onto the skin of my pale, freckled face, the fluttering breeze blowing the stray hairs of my ponytail in front of it. The tranquillity of it has my wanting to close my eyes and breathe it all in.

I walk past the school gates and watch as lively students pass by, everyone recharged from the long summer. Some pass by deep in conversation and others, like me, are simply alone.

I stop and take a moment to look up at the sky, watching the uniquely fluffy clouds pass one another, some overtaking the sun and each other in their race to explore the blue sky. It's a beautiful sight, really, how every day a new set of clouds are up amongst the blue, watching over the world. I wonder what it's like to be one, freely floating without a destination in mind, no worries of tomorrow and no troubles of today.

"Hey, Alice!"

The sound of my name being called from behind me catches my attention. I turn around swiftly to see two guys wearing the school's football team jackets making their way toward me, a superior posture in their stride. I hold back a groan of annoyance, disliking the egotistical attitude that most of the guys in the football team carry around with them.

I recognise one of them as they come closer, Marcus. I've known him, since the eighth grade, a red head with hazel eyes. For as long as I can remember he's carried around an air of superiority that I frankly don't like and steer clear of. He treats other people like dirt beneath his perfectly uncreased shoes. To put it lightly, he's an arrogant airhead. The other one, a guy with deep brown skin with his hair styled in finger wavers, I assume is new since I've never seen his around before.

"Hello, Marcus," I say with a curt nod and tight smile once they reach me, temptation to ignore them and walk straight ahead growing as he smirks, nudging the guy beside him who simply offers me a shy wave.

Turning my head in question to the new guy, I ask with a polite smile, "Sorry, I don't think I recognise you. I'm Alice."

Rubbing the back of his neck, his eyes meet mine, "I'm Dante, just moved from San Francisco this summer."

"It's nice to meet you. Did you guys need something?" I turn my attention back to Marcus, knowing he didn't grab my attention for a little introduction.

"Well, now that you mention it, Ally—"

"Alice." I correct as he speaks up.

"What I said," he shrugs nonchalantly and I have to resist the urge to roll my eyes. "Dante here needs a guide and, well, I thought the prettiest girl around could join us. What do you say?" He speaks almost condescendingly, swinging an arm over Dante's shoulders in a brotherly manner, acting as if he just came up with an award-winning idea.

Dante, on the other hand, looks towards the ground, awkward and embarrassed, looking uncomfortable by the words of his new friend.

I look back to Marcus, the cocky smile still balancing on his lips as he scrutinises me. My face remains blank and I resist scrunching it up in distaste toward him. "Listen, I'm sorry but I have to get to class. Besides, I think you're capable of showing Dante around without a babysitter." I shrug.

I barely see his facial features pull together in displeasure at me words as I turn to direct my attention to Dante, whose lips are pursed, barely hiding a grin at his friends' clearly wavering pride.

"Best of luck, Dante, I'll see you around. I hope you like it here."

He offers his thanks and waves at me as I turn around, stepping through the entrance of the school building.

- - -

After grabbing my schedule from the main office, I scrutinise it as I walk down the halls, occasionally lifting my head to avoid walking into anyone. I stop short as I recognise the dark hair at the back of the head of a boy that's been loosely on my mind since yesterday a few feet away from me.