Chapter 20: Redemption

Kayden POV

I started getting ready for my day a little earlier than usually. I went to the kitchen and started making breakfast for Levit to try and apologize for yesterday.

I made pancakes and eggs with freshly squeezed orange juice. By the time I was done, I turned around to see the kitchen was an awful mess, and most of the pack members including mine looking at me, shocked.

Shocked that I was cooking, cooking for another person.

Levit finally came down to see what's going on. One of her "crew" probably linked her.

She was about to yell until I stepped up to present the breakfast to her. She looked like she'd just seen a ghost.

"What is this?" she asked, looking puzzled.

"Breakfast," I replied. "For you."

"Is it poisoned?"

I choked, "What?! Of course not,"

"I wouldn't put it past you," she mumbled.

She took the plate and sat at the nearest table, with her fork in her right hand and the knife in the left.

Her "crew" looked at her like she'd just lost a couple screws.

"Thanks, I guess," her voice was so low, that if I didn't have werewolf hearing, I wouldn't have been able to hear it.

Step one complete.

Now I just have to get her to agree to go on a date with me.

"Good luck with that," Lance (my wolf) said in my head.

***

"She looks stunning," I said in a daze. "I know," Lance agreed.

I was watching Levit train both mine and her packs together from afar. She's been extra hard and particular with their moves and tactics.

Like she is preparing for something big.

After training I was going to ask her out to a walk. I found the perfect spot a few days ago while running along the border (they have so much land). After the walk, I would get her something to eat, then try and "clear the air" between us... at least a little.

3 Hours Later

Training was finally over; my legs were starting to get numb from sitting all this time.
Levit was grabbing her water bottle and just heading inside when I approached her with a slight smile on my face. Which she returned with a glare and a shove.

"Hey wait!"

*sigh* "Yes Kayden? As you can see, I'm very tired and sweaty."

"Ah, yes, well I was wondering would you like to get something to eat? I bet after all that training you might as well be hungry."

She went silent for a minute. I assume to probably mind link her "crew".

"I suppose I could grab a bite with you, but just a quick one, I've already told a few people where I'm going, so you better not try anything."

Not gonna lie, that kind of hurt, to know she thought I might try and hurt her. I'm trying to change, I guess I'm going to have to prove it.

But on the bright side, I at least got her to go out with me.

Step two complete.

***

I waited in the pack living room while she showered. Even though I said she didn't have to, she insisted.

Fifteen minutes later, she walked down in some comfy clothes, which was fine by me considering it gets chilly as it gets darker.

"Ready to go Levit?"

"Yeah, I guess, let's head out. My bike or your car?"

"My car."

We headed to the side of the house where most of the vehicles are kept away from the pups and pack teens.

The ride was silent, until I decided to try and lift this tense air.

"Sooo, umm favorite color?" I winced at the way my voice sounded.

Suddenly she started laughing uncontrollably. "Please don't tell me that's all you got, but okay I'll bite. White is my favorite color."

"Why?"

"I just like how it symbolizes purity and the way the color can make a dark one lighter. What about you?"

"I like the color blue; it was Sam's favorite," I smiled sadly.
"Who's Sam," she asked.

I took a deep breath: "His name was Samuel, but I called him Sam. He was a rogue I use to play with when I was 8 years old. We would play in the woods all the time from sunup to sundown. I would read him stories and he would teach me how to catch prey. Since he was a rogue, I tried to feed and take care of him, but I was only 8 so, stories and playtime would have to do for now. It was until one day when I was going to meet up with him again, I overheard the patrol lines talking about a young "filthy rogue" they had killed who was lurking around the pack border lines—I prayed it wasn't Sam. I ran to our favorite spot to play, only to be met with trees and leaves covered in blood. Along with Sam's favorite blue keychain. He said it was a gift from the MoonGoddess, took it everywhere he went ."

"Where is that keychain now?" Levit asked.

I pulled an object from my pocket. "With me. I always keep it with me no matter what. I like to believe his spirt is within the keychain. I know it probably sounds silly but—".

Levit cut me off by pulling out something similar. It was a necklace with a knight charm that was white. It looked really familiar.

"I once had a friend too Kayden. He's not dead, we're just not friends anymore. When I was a little girl, we played princesses and knights almost every day in the front yard of the pack house. The night before my 6th birthday, he gave me this necklace he made all by himself."

Halfway through the story it all clicked.

"Kayden, that boy was you. My knight in shining armor."

By the time we finished both of our stories, we were in tears looking at each other.
I slowly brought my hand up to her face. "I remember that night, I got glue in my hair and cuts on my fingers, from trying to make it. I can't believe you still have it," I laughed softly.

I whispered, "Even after all that's happened."

***

I took her to my favorite fast-food place in town where me and my mother use to go on a daily. Their burgers are to die for.

"I hope you like burgers, because I'm taking you to the best one I know."

"Oh, really," she laughed. "Well then let's go."

After we finished our food, we walked around a bit and found an old arcade. We played basketball, air hockey, and dancing games.

"I didn't know you could be so competitive," we laughed. By now she was letting me hold her hand.
"Yeah, well I could say the same thing about you. Did you really have to beat me that bad in air hockey? Like c'mon Kayden, 21-6? Like seriously," she pouted playfully.

"You can't talk much either. You're the one who also beat me 21-6 in basketball. I just had to show you who's boss," I smirked.

We stopped walking and turned to face each other. I looked at her lips and she looked at mine. The streetlights were on. We were practically the only ones left in the town square.

We leaned in when suddenly a mind link was sent to both of us to get to the pack house ASAP.

It's an emergency.

PS: Theirs only like 3 more chapters and then an epilogue.