002

✿

𝐓𝐰𝐨

''Azami.'' Kurapika slightly widened his eyes, ''I haven't seen you in a very long time. How have you been?'' he asked, acting as if nothing was going on. He acted like not a single thing had happened, but inside of his head, all of the memories came crashing back into his mind— something he had been trying to avoid happening for so long. It wasn't like he wanted to forget about you, but he wanted to forget about everything he had been through with you. He wanted to manage without you, on his own. He wanted you to be able to move on, he wanted you to be able to pick up your life without him ever interfering with your happiness again.

He had let you go, completely.

Though, he wondered if you had forgotten about him. He wondered if you had forgotten all of the good times as well. He wanted you to be happy and he wanted you to smile without lying about it. He hoped your eyes would glitter under the moonlight— or the bright sun outside. He always thought you looked beautiful, he adored your smile and missed it. Even now, he wished he was the reason for your smiles, but he knew he wasn't. He knew he couldn't be your reason for anything anymore. Nothing positive, at least. He felt selfish, hoping he'd still wander around in your mind sometimes. He knew it was selfish and he shouldn't be asking, let alone hoping for it.

''Been fine,'' Azami smirked, ''I can't believe this is your company! You've done well, Kurapika. I'm proud of you,'' the second the words left his lips his skin flashed pale, not used to complimenting someone. ''A-Aha... sorry,'' he apologised for no reason at all— and Kurapika was not expecting anything else.

''I see you're still horrible at praising one, right, Azami?'' Kurapika chuckled, clutching his notebook against his chest as he sat down on the chair in front of Azami's desk, putting one leg over the other. ''It's fine, we're used to it.'' The words made Azami feel a little bad, but he was quick to brush it off. ''It surprised me you want to work at my company after all,'' Kurapika admitted, ''I couldn't believe it when I read your name on the paper as Aiko asked me for approval to hire you. You know, after all, I can't believe you want to be around me.''

''I don't hate you. What happened between you and Y/N... is none of my business. There's no bad blood between us, just some frustrations from my side.'' He watched Kurapika stiffen as your name left Azami's lips.

''How has she been?''

''She—'' he thought for a moment before answering Kurapika's question. He wasn't sure whether you wanted him to know the truth. He didn't think it was his right to tell Kurapika about the way you were feeling, so, he decided to lie for your sake. ''She's been fine.''