chapter two - project and partners

Sora POV

I'm standing outside of the school building, waiting for Levi. Schools are about to start soon and Levi isn't here yet. Classic Levi. The bell is about to ring, so I just left him, hoping he gets to class on time.

I walked inside the building, looking for Jaxx and the twins. Spent about a good five minutes looking for them before I gave up. With the number of people in the halls right now, I knew I wouldn't be able to find them.

I made it to class and I sit down in my seat in the third row. Almost everyone was here, except Levi, Jaxx, and the twins. Our honors class was pretty small, with only ten people. Jaxx came into class first, but I never realized until he was standing over my desk, waiting for his homework. 

"So, are you gonna give it to me or?" He started. "Class is about to start and I would rather not have any missing homework."

"Geez, how impatient are you?" I roll my eyes and hand him his paper.  He goes and sits in this seat right behind mines. I take out the twin's paper and leave them on my desk.

"Don't tell anyone that I'm doing this," and he hands me the twenty bucks.

Next, the twins come in and I try to hand them their paper but they both snatched it out of my hands. They go to the back of the class and sit together. At this point, everyone is here beside Levi, and class is about to start any minute now.

The teacher comes in and sets everything up for class. "Good morning class! We're gonna start off with roll call, Alex?"

"Here!"

"Zachary?"

"Can't you see that I'm here? He says which causes everyone to laugh. The teacher ignores his comment and continues on."

"Drake?"

"Hey."

"Jade?"

"Morning!"

"Light?"

"Present."

"Charli?"

"Morning Miss!"

"Pft. Simp" Zach comments and everyone laughs. Charli just yells at him and I just ignore them.

"Jaxx?"

"Right here."

"Sora?"

"Here."

"Levi?"

No response.

"Levi? No Levi?" The teacher was about to mark Levi absent until Levi burst through the door.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." He says out of breath.

"You're late. Take a seat before I mark you absent." Levi rushes to his seat beside mines and the girls start laughing at him.

"Now where was I? Ah, Luca?"

"Present!"

 "Okay, now let's get started with today's class."

-

"So, if you square root that answers, what would you get what Sora?"

"6,792"

"Nerd," Jaxx yells from behind me and everyone but Levi starts to laugh.

"Okay so now it's time for lunch. After lunch, we will be talking about projects and group assignments.

We leave the classroom and I wait for Levi to come out. He seems tired. More tired than usual.

"Oh, hey Levi," I say when he walks outside from the classroom. "Rough night last night?" 

"No, I was just up last night. I was doing my homework until like two in the morning. And I slept in this morning."

"You're an idiot," I say and walk away from him, dumbfounded.

"Well excuse me but I actually do things during the day."

"Like what?"

"Um, well I..."

"Exactly. Now let's go eat. I'm starving."

-

"So welcome back class," the teacher says when we all enter the room. "We're going to be talking about projects and our partners. You are going to have to make a slideshow about a moment that happened during the ancient Egyptian period."

"Um, Miss?" Drake raised his hand. "Do we get to chose our partners?"

"Nope. I will be assigning partners. Now let me find my list."

'Great, now I'm forced to work with someone in this stupid class. High chance it would even be Levi either. She knows that I talk to him a lot.' I thought as I looked out the classroom window. 

"Okay, so I have my list here. Zach is with Alex, Drake is with Jade, Levi is with Luca, Charli is with Light, and Sora is with Jaxx."

"Uh, excuse me Miss," Jaxx raises his hand. "Am I able to change partners? I am not being grouped with this nerd over here."

"Jaxx the choices are final. Sit down." Jaxx sits down and had a sour look on his face.

 'Jaxx, I don't get why you are complaining. If anything you would get a good grade from me. I should be the one complaining.'

"I will be coming around, giving you all a time period to research about. The project is due next week Monday so that means you have exactly one week to finish this. I will be grading you based on how well you work on this project by yourself and how you work as a group. Now, go get started. We don't want to waste any time now."

I turn around to face Jaxx to start this project were doing. "Look. I don't want to do this and neither do you. But I am not failing this class so we are going to work together this one time."

"Let's just do this later. I mean we have a whole week to finish this project."

"Yeah, but I know that you aren't going to start on the project until the last day so we are going to be working on this now."

We argue for a bit about when to start the project when our teacher comes over to our table. She scolds us for arguing and tells us that we have to work on ancient Mesopotamia, apparently the hardest topic since we kept arguing. 

"This is all your fault." He snaps at me.

"Me?! This is my fault? I wasn't the one yelling to the teacher about me being your partner. And you would fail if it wasn't for me. So be grateful that you might actually pass this thing."

"Okay, Mr. Goodie Two Shoes. Let's just get this project over with. The sooner we finish it the less I would have to spend with you. Should we meet somewhere after school or something?" 

"Um, do you want to meet at the library?"

"Pft, no. The library is for nerds like you. How about the park?"

"No, too many distractions."

"How about we just go to my apartment after school. It's not all too far from here."

"Your apartment? I mean I guess but wouldn't it be weird if I went to your place."

"It's fine, really. Unless you have some other place you want to go to."

"No, no it's fine. We can go to your place after school."

"Great."