01 | captive

1711, The Town of Raevigny, Esterdel

      Following the death of Christopher Finley, life had been calm and uneventful for Eleanora. The young Master Andrade, her father's employer, had paid her a hefty sum of money, enough for her to live comfortably until the day she died. Enough for her, and her alone.

He had witnessed how Dinah Finley treated her husband and daughter, and needless to say he was not impressed. He bought the plot of land from Mrs Sudworthe and built a slate roofed house in its place for Eleanora to stay in when she was all grown up and married, but not before sending Dinah Finley away.

The young Eleanora was left in the care of Madam Lovett, and for the past four years, she was happy and at ease. Madam Lovett taught her all about tea-making, and never once did she need to worry about food or drink.

       Master Lovett, the town's bard and storyteller was a sweet-tempered and friendly man who often told Eleanora stories of princesses and dragons of the olden times. Though he was very kind to her, he could never replace Christopher Finley. 

However, who would have thought that one night, Dinah Finley would come knocking at the Lovett's door, soaking wet from the rain and absolutely famished.

        "How could you let him send me away, Nora ?" Dinah wept between bites of the cornbread that Madam Lovett had so kindly given to her. "I was sent off to the Isle of Kylls, forced to work day and night until my bones became sore! And here you are, living in this big house, eating meat almost every week!"

         "It is the Lovetts who took me in," Eleanora declared defensively. "If it weren't for them, I'd be on the streets too."

Dinah's beady blue eyes flickered towards her estranged daughter. "Do you think that I do not know that the house next door is in your name ? The Master gave you a house, and you never even bothered to tell me!"

         "Even if he gave me a castle, it could not replace my father."

Dinah scoffed. "My husband could work endlessly for a hundred and never earn that amount of money!"

      Master Lovett, who was washing the dishes in the kitchen, turned around and glared at Dinah in disgust. With hands still covered in soap suds, he strutted over to the dining table, and to Eleanora he said, "Nora, once this woman has finished eating, tell her that she must leave. She is not welcome here."

     Of course, these words were for Dinah to hear, not Eleanora. 

The prideful woman smashed the dish of cornbread on the wooden table, shattering it to pieces. "That man was so rude to me, and you don't even attempt to defend me!" she cried in exasperation.

          "You should leave, Mother," Eleanora said softly. Dinah Finley did not take this too well, and in the end Master Lovett was forced to kick her out of the house.