14 | azure

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

         A few days after the painting incident, Princess Demitria decided that it would be fair for the seven ladies to unwind and visit the grand opera in the heart of Kestramore City. Eleanora had never heard proper opera singing before, though there used to be a girl in her town who fancied herself a 'primadonna', but Eleanora thought that she sounded like a howling dog.

Opera d'Ghislaine was one of the grandest establishments in the entire kingdom, and anyone who had the honour to walk through its doors would always ensure that they were draped in the finest silks and velvets and bedecked with pearls and diamonds. Of course, only those with wealth and prestige could enter Opera d'Ghislaine, and Eleanora had neither of those. Nor did she have a presentable dress.

Eleanora felt as if she was living in the fairytale 'Cendrillon', with only rags and tatters to wear to the opera. And just like in the fairytale, her Fairy Godmother soon arrived. Eleanora's Fairy Godmother arrived in the form of Catarina de Fontaine and her entourage of servants carrying mountains of dresses and jewels.

    "I think that a gown in the colour pink would suit you very well," Catarina said as she sized Eleanora up. "It will enhance the rosiness of your cheeks, which is very much in fashion right now. Although, pink might be a rather predictable choice. It looks good enough, but it lacks flavour. Do you understand what I am trying to say?"

    "No," Eleanora murmured softly.

Catarina let out a sigh. "It's alright, you don't have to understand. Rosie, please bring me dress number 37!"

In a heartbeat, Catarina's maid appeared with a turquoise robe a'langlaise in tow. Unlike most of Catarina's grand and opulent dresses, dress number 37 was more discreet, but not forsaking elegance. Her other dresses would have overwhelmed Eleanora's small frame and made her appear silly, but this dress in particular enhanced her delicate beauty instead.

Eleanora particularly liked how the cool turquoise tone contrasted with her long, fiery red locks. However, it did not erase the fact that the dress was far too big for Eleanora, since Catarina was a rather tall person, to begin with.

       "It is very lovely," she began. "But I cannot wear this. It is a bit too long for me."

Catarina pursed her lips as she examined the sleeves that were a tad too long, and the skirt that seemed to pool at Eleanora's feet. "It is no big deal. We can cut it off."

        "What?" Eleanora gasped, upstartled. Even the thought of a single pin pricking the fine fabric of this dress made shivers run down her spine, let alone cut the sleeves off.

        "Did you not hear?" Catarina replied nonchalantly. "We will cut the excess off. Can't let you go to the opera in an ill-fitting dress, can we?"

         "But then it will be ruined."

Catarina let out a chuckle. "I might not be able to wear it again, but it will be a perfect fit for you. Since it fits you so well, I believe that you should have it instead of me."