25 | evenfall

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

Eleanora awoke with a start, her forehead slick with sweat, her throat as dry as sandpaper. Her head spun slightly as she rose to her feet, clutching at her temples, her vision blurring momentarily. There were murmurs around her, many people voicing their concerns, but Eleanora ignored them all. Everything was spinning. All around her were voices speaking too loudly, too fast for her to comprehend.

      "You're awake, sweetheart," Dinah's voice cooed,  reaching out to gently touch Eleanora's arm, squeezing it reassuringly. "How are you feeling?"

A lump rose in Eleanora's throat as she swallowed thickly, trying to clear her throat to get rid of the dryness. "I need to go somewhere. There is somebody whom I must meet."

      "Oh my sweet girl," Dinah exclaimed, grabbing Eleanora's hands and pulling her in for a hug. "But we have so many things to do! The seamstress will be coming tonight for a fitting, and in three days, Monsieur Montpensier will be arriving from Calacia just to paint your betrothal portrait-"

Eleanora pushed past Dinah's embrace, taking a couple of steps towards the door, ignoring the protests of everyone else present. Her head was empty, and her body felt as if it was moving on its own. She did not question why there were so many people in her room, or why she was not wearing the same dress that she wore when she fell asleep last night.

     The morning felt much warmer than it was yesterday. Grey and dreary still, but warm. In her head, she only remembered that she needed to see Nicholas at the edge of the garden, so that is what she did. But alas, he was not there.

Aimlessly, she paced around the garden, her gaze blank. She felt completely numb, incapable of forming coherent thoughts. A slight breeze blew across her, stirring up her red curls. Eleanora found it odd how the sky grew darker. Should it not grow brighter, since it would soon be noon?

    Eleanora brushed her thoughts aside and rushed to the courtyard, hoping to find Nicholas there. Perhaps, she had been too late and he had simply gone elsewhere. And indeed, that was where she would find him.

He wore a dark blue tunic underneath his velvet cloak, with silver embroidery adorning the edges. His black breeches were tucked neatly beneath his boots. On top of his head sat a simple black hat, adorned with feathers and a long tail. It was nothing similar to his usual attire, and at that moment, Nicholas looked more like the general that he was, rather than a nobleman at court.

       "Nicholas!" Eleanora called out, waving her hand to get his attention.

He turned to glance at her, but this time, his expression remained stony, cold. He did not respond nor make any sign to indicate that he had heard her calling.

Eleanora frowned, confused by his sudden cold treatment. She let out a soft chuckle, and as she walked towards him, she said, "You asked me to see you, and now you're avoiding me?"