11 | longing

1711, Northern Barracks, Dexereaux

    "Nicholas, they're coming! The Amarisian soldiers! The men in the watchtower spotted them just a few miles away from us!" Robert shouted as he burst into The general's tent. "We're being ambushed!"

Nicholas frowned as he groggily sat up. Outside, the sky was still dark, with not a single star in sight.

    In battle, ambushing the enemy's camp is considered an act of great cowardice, but an even greater offense than that is to ambush your enemy's camp at night, when everyone is sleeping.

    "I see that they have run out of cards to play," Nicholas said as he stood up from his bed and reached for his armour. "It is such a shame that they will lose, despite resorting to such dirty tactics."

Robert guffawed. "Nicholas, all our men are still half asleep, and they are not fit for battle. The Amarisian soldiers are only an hour away from us! We will not be able to fight them off!"

Nicholas rolled his eyes in annoyance as he slipped on the armour. "You seem to have forgotten that upon descending the mountain, the Amarisian soldiers will immediately come face to face with River Isola. In the winter, the river will be almost frozen solid, but now it is summer. To cross River Isola, they must wade through the neck deep water, and if they are not dead yet by then, upon crossing the river, they must march through a large, open field with absolutely no shelter. By the time they reach us, they will be freezing to death."

    "You are too confident, Nicholas," Robert countered.

    "I dare say this because I have memorized the entire terrain surrounding our camp. But who knows, they might have other tricks up their sleeves. Now, order our men to change into their armour, and tell the cook to prepare lots of wine and hot foods."

Robert blinked in confusion. "But why? Nicholas, the enemy is not far away from us and you suggest that we sit down and eat?"

    "We have the upper hand in this battle, and we must use it to our advantage. When the Amarisians arrive, our men will be well rested and well fed, while they are at the verge of death. Once they arrive, they will know that they have marched into the valley of their own demise."