10 | cimmerian

Trigger warning: Implied assault

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

    For one week, Eleanora free from Dinah Finley's schemings and endless ramblings. For one week, she finally knew what it felt like to have friends. For one week, Eleanora lived in peace.

But when the eighth day came, it all went downhill.

    One night, just before returning to the sleeping quarters, she was stopped by her mother, who dragged her back to their old quarters. Eleanora had not seen her mother in a while, and though it was unlikely, she had hoped to hear some kind words from her. Something along the lines of "Have you been well?" or "Have you eaten yet?"

However, Eleanora received none of the sort. Dinah Finley locked the door behind their back, and in a hushed tone, she said to Eleanora, "Sweet Nora, I have found the way to save us all. The Prince will just have to marry you!"

    "What do you mean by that, Mother?" Eleanora asked with a frown.

Dinah Finley chuckled. "Right now, all the members of the royal family know that you were found in a very scandalous position with the Prince. If you were to become pregnant and claim that the child is his, then no one will question you. Everyone thinks that you are innocent, that you are pure and without sin. They will believe every single word that comes out of your pretty little mouth."

Eleanora's heart sank. She was not stupid, and she knew exactly what her mother was hinting at. No, Eleanora was not sure whether she could even call Dinah her mother anymore. What sort of mother would willingly offer up her daughter to a man, just for the sake of maintaining a lie? Even a dog loves its own children.

    "No, I refuse to do that," Eleanora protested as she headed for the door. "Enough is enough!"

    "You are being selfish! All you have to do is to become pregnant, and then all of us are saved! You will become queen, and we will not starve! It is not that difficult!" Dinah retorted. "I am doing all of this for you! Why can't you realise that, insolent girl?"

    "How am I selfish? Do you even realise what you are saying right now?" Eleanora argued, both exasperated and in disbelief. It felt as if she was talking to a wall. A very obstinate and self-centred wall.

At that moment, there was a sudden knock on the door. Dinah Finley wiped away the tears and snot on her face and went to open the door. On the other side, Eleanora saw a man in a soldier's uniform, and thinking that he had come to see what the commotion was all about, she got up on her feet and tried to get out of there.

    "I must return now. The rest of the contestants will wonder where I am-" she said as she tried to go past the door, but then, she stiffened.

The soldier had wrapped his arms around her waist, and his brown eyes were filled with lust. "I must say, your daughter is quite the looker, Lady Finley. What an honour it is, to bed the future Queen of Ravaeryn."