07 | passage

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

Dinah Finley loomed over the unconscious prince, a bottle of hard liquor in hand. Gently, she pried his lips open and poured it down his throat, but also ensuring to let it dribble down his chin and neck so that he would reek of alcohol.

Eleanora knew what Dinah meant to do, but she did not have the courage to fight against her. Even if she exposed Dinah's heinous actions, she would still be implicated anyway. Now, all she could do was to step back and watch it all unravel.

Dinah proceeded to make the Prince's hair and clothes look messy and disheveled, as if he had been in a huge fight, and once she was done with that, she turned towards Eleanora.

           "What is it, Mother ?" Eleanora asked cautiously, but instead of answering, Dinah Finley reached forward and tore apart the front of the nightgown.

Eleanora almost screeched and instantly inched away, her hands quickly reaching out to cover her exposed skin.

           "Now, get into bed with him," Dinah Finley said calmly, but sternly. She was not asking Eleanora to do it, rather she was ordering it.

Tears sprung up Eleanora's eyes, and she swiftly shook her head. Dinah did not receive this very well, and in a swift motion, she slapped Eleanora roughly across the face.

The young girl felt a hot, searing pain on her right cheek, and before the pain could even go away, Dinah Finley began to pull on her long hair, and her grip was so tight that Eleanora felt as if her scalp was separating from her skull.

           "Mother, please stop," she pleaded, though her pleas fell on deaf ears. "I'll do whatever you want me to, so please stop."

The grip on her hair loosened, and the terrifying expression on Dinah Finley's face vanished. In its place was a warm and amiable smile, sure to trick anyone that met her.

Eleanora sunk down to the floor in relief, and she reached out to touch her scalp. When she retracted her hand, they were stains of blood on her fingers, a bright and garish red.

            "You shouldn't have resisted, sweet Nora. You know that I will never hurt you if you don't misbehave," her mother affirmed warmly, as if the entire scene before had never happened entirely.

             "Now, get into bed with him. You wouldn't want Mama to get mad, would you sweet Nora ?"

Eleanora crept into the bed, shivering due to the cold. Dinah Finley tucked her in before leaning in to stroke her hair gently.

            "Get some sleep now, my sweet lamb. Tomorrow, our lives will change forever."