you're scared of the dark

"Are you falling asleep already?" Madelaine teased as she looked down at her chest, where you were comfortably resting your head, to find that your eyes were closed.

"No."

She shook her head with a smile. She knows you're falling fast asleep and you're being dishonest because you don't want the night you're spending together to end. They don't come around as much as you both wish they would, since life is keeping you both busy these days.

But she didn't mind that you were falling asleep. It's nearing midnight and you've spent the entire day together. She's actually so worn out that she couldn't even drive home tonight. The time slipped away and she was more tired than she thought, so you asked her to stay the night.

She happily accepted and even though you're falling asleep earlier than you wanted to, she has no regrets and she's feeling happier and more content than she has in weeks.

"It's okay, sleepyhead. Go right to sleep. I'm getting pretty sleepy myself." She said and kissed your head. "I'll just turn off the tv and the lights for you and then we'll go to bed."

Suddenly, your eyes flew open. You quickly protested her doing both of those things.

"No! Don't."

She furrowed her eyebrows in concern. You were wide awake now, gripping her wrist with trembling fingers.

"Baby? What's wrong?"

You sighed and sank your teeth into your lip, struggling to find a way to say the words that were right on the tip of your tongue, ready to fall once you allowed them to.

You've never told anyone about your fear of the dark. You live alone and manage to cope in different ways when it's time to head to bed, such as your lamps or the tv. But this is the first time in quite some time that you haven't spent the night alone. It was scary to confess your fear, especially since you always wonder what people might think if they found out.

"Y/N?' Madelaine whispered softly as she stroked your cheek, snapping you out of your thoughts.

"There's something I haven't told you." You sighed and stared down at your lap with sleepy eyes. "I'm scared of the dark."

"What?"

"I'm very scared, actually. I can't sleep without some kind of light on. Everything about darkness scares me, to the point where I panic sometimes. It's just overwhelming for me."

"Is that why you don't stay with me at my place?" She asked as the pieces began to fall into place in her head suddenly.

"Yeah. I haven't told anyone this before. The only people that know are my parents, of course. I've always been scared of the dark. I can't control it and I'm always afraid people might judge me or not bother to even try to understand why I'm so scared."

"You know I'm not like that though, y/n." She spoke softly as her eyes gazed intensely into yours. "I'm never going to judge you. You know that."

"I know. I'm sorry I didn't tell you until now."

"It's okay, baby. Everyone's scared of something. Don't be ashamed of that."

You nodded and even smiled against her lips a little when she leaned in and pressed her lips onto yours for a quick but loving kiss.

"What do you want me to keep on? The lights or the tv?"

"The tv. I like to watch my favorite show before I fall asleep sometimes."

She nodded and turned the volume up a little before turning off the lights. She pulled you closer and let you lay your ear right over her heart so you could listen to the steady beat of it.

"Sweet dreams."

"You too." You smiled and it grew slightly when she leaned down to lay a kiss on your head.

"I love you." She whispered as you drifted off to sleep, keeping you as close to her as she could as she did the same.