One

Jisoo walked into the overcrowded bar, scanning the room to find her friend whom she was supposed to meet for the rugby. It was going to be a big game, every game between Samoa and South Africa always promised a lot of action with a lot of big hits and dirty play from the Samoan side. But Hayden had also mysteriously said that he had something he wanted to tell her and here she was, trying to find him and a good spot to watch the game. She finally spotted him at a table in front of the big screen and bumped through the crowd to join him.

"I wasn't expecting this place to be so full," Jisoo said as she took her seat.

"Hey butch," he leaned over the table to give her a hug.

"Hey there, so what was the news?" she asked and ordered a beer from the waiter.

"You will see her now. I finally found a girl that I like enough to consider settling down with, I even stopped fucking the secretary after we dated for about a week," he said with a large smile.

"Wow, that must be some girl then," she said with a smile that matched his.

"She is," as he spoke Jisoo saw the blonde manoeuvring through the crowd.

She finally reached the table and sat down next to Hayden, "this is Roseanne, Rosie this is my best friend Jisoo."

"Nice to meet you," Jisoo said and took in the beautiful blonde.

"You too, no offense but I was kind of expecting a guy when he said Jisoo," Rosie said with a shy smile.

"It doesn't help that he always makes me sound like one either, so I don't blame you," Jisoo accepted her beer and took a long drink.

Roseanne was exactly what she had always imagined her future girlfriend would look like, the blonde hair that fell effortlessly across her shoulders and the hazel eyes. She had a tiny button nose and full, pink lips that always seemed ready to curve into a smile. Her 5'6" frame was lean and long, strong and undoubtedly feminine with large breasts that sat proudly upon her chest. The green Springbok rugby jersey she wore enhanced the color of her eyes that reminded Jisoo of the tree groves on the farm during autumn.

"You know I see you as one of the guys, Butch. You offer me the best of both worlds, your great advice on what women want and how I should dress and then you are also someone I get to play PlayStation with and who loves watching rugby," Hayden tried to defend himself.

"I didn't say that you were wrong, it might just make everyone you tell about me more comfortable if you add that I am a female so that they aren't shell shocked when they meet me," Jisoo said and smiled at Roseanne.

"Did he just call you Butch?" Roseanne asked with a tiny smile playing at her lips.

"Yeah I did. That is exactly what she is and it just fits. It comes from school days though, she was always talking sports with the guys instead of fashion and make-up with the girls," Hayden laughed at the memory.

"It is kind of cute actually and it suits you very well," Roseanne said as she studied the woman sitting opposite Hayden. Her dark brown hair, the chocolate brown eyes that stared back at her and her nose that crinkled when she smiled. Her plump, heart shaped lips were formed into a slight pout and her strong jaw gave her face the subtle masculinity that made her unbelievably beautiful. Roseanne stared at the rugby jersey that stretched tightly across the broad shoulders and saw the strong and muscled arms that peaked from beneath the shirt. Her left arm was covered in a full sleeve tattoo and her long legs in faded blue jeans.

"Thanks, I think," Jisoo said and scratched her head.

Hayden ordered shooters and mere minutes later the game started. Everyone in the pub rose to their feet and clutched their shirts with their right hands when the national anthem began. South Africans are a very proud nation and this came across clearly when all the voices rang out as they sang. Jisoo's body burst into gooseflesh in the moment that never ceased to stir her because she knew that even this country where the citizen's differences were so publicly advertised that they all stood together when fighting a common enemy, even if it was in sport.

Throughout the game Jisoo looked over at the couple and realized that they fit together very well, Hayden was a large man with broad shoulders. One of their favourite pass times as friends were going to the gym and the results clearly showed. His light brown hair was short and neatly trimmed and his face always cleanly shaven, his hazel eyes were always friendly and Jisoo was happy that her friend finally found someone that he truly liked.

"How are things on the farm?" Hayden asked during half time.

"Busy, my dad has been taking on less and less, after his heart attack he has gradually become weaker and I fear that he won't be around much longer. I have been running the place lately and trying to convince him to move into the city where he will be closer to decent medical care," Jisoo replied with a shrug of her shoulders.

"He will die on that farm and we both know it," Hayden said concern colouring his voice.

"Yeah he will and there's not much that I can do to convince him otherwise," she had given up that particular fight and in her heart she knew that her father had also done the same, except he gave up on the fight to live.

"Can't your mother talk him into moving to the city?" Roseanne asked and noticed the flinch of pain across Jisoo's features when she asked.

"My mother deserted us about twelve years ago when I was just eleven. She never wrote or tried to call, so the answer to your question would be no, she won't be able to convince him of anything at this stage."

Roseanne's face fell and she suddenly regretted asking, "I am so sorry, I didn't know."

"Don't worry about it, things like that happen in life and it can only make us stronger," Jisoo smiled at the blonde and felt her heart skip a beat when the smile was returned.

"Well, back to the game, Samoa will be starting their foul play tricks now because they are so far behind," Hayden said and rested his hand on Roseanne's thigh for reassurance.

"That is to be expected, although they have already started," Jisoo joined the conversation and tried to drown out her reaction at Roseanne's smile.

The game continued with the entire pub swearing at the Samoan players after one tackled the Springbok captain with a stiff arm against his neck and another grabbed Strauss between the legs in a ruck. If the referee had to hear all of the creative names that the supporters called him he would immediately hang up his refereeing jersey and walk away.

"That motherfucker deserved a red card for that move!" Jisoo said in outrage and heard the people around them agree.

"I just hope for his sake that Strauss doesn't bump into him off the field," Roseanne said looked at the replay again.

"I would murder a man if he did that to me," Hayden said and shook his head.

"He was just handling the ball," Jisoo said with a chuckle and heard Roseanne laugh, a melodic sound that sent her heart rate into over drive.

"Classy, Butch, very classy," Hayden said between chuckles.

"Rather him handling those balls than me," she returned and shrugged.

The rest of the night passed uneventfully and Hayden clearly expressed his pleasure at his best friend and girlfriend getting along so well. Jisoo invited them over to the farm the weekend and he was looking forward to being on the grounds that held a lot of his school memories once again. He travelled a lot for work and was pleased to know that Jisoo would be here to look out for Roseanne if she ever needed anything. They said their goodbyes and Jisoo drove off to the apartment they had in the city, her mind filled with images of the young blonde.

Unbeknownst to Jisoo, Roseanne was having similar thoughts and admonished herself for thinking about another woman that way. But no matter how hard she tried, those bright chocolate brown eyes kept reappearing in her mind's eye and she couldn't rid herself of the thoughts of that smile.