Nine

Jisoo stood in court, her heart pounding and her hands shaking as she waited for the judge to deliver his verdict.

"After examining all the documents and listening to both parties' arguments I have come to a conclusion. Taking into consideration Mrs. Kim abandonment of the deceased Mr. Kim and their daughter I rule in favour of Miss Jisoo Kim. The final will and testament of Mr. Hajoon Kim will remain unchanged and none of the assets will be awarded to Mrs. Jiyoo Kim."

He closed his verdict and Jisoo jumped into the air, "don't worry, dad, she's not taking anything we worked for."

She hugged her lawyer and pressed the speed dial for Roseanne, after sharing the news with her she left the courtroom and walked into her mother.

"Well, I hope you are happy now. I am a broke old lady," Jiyoo said to her daughter.

"Life could have been different, but unfortunately we are all bound by the choices we make."

Jisoo turned and walked away.

**********

In the years that followed Jisoo and Roseanne got married and started a family of their own on the farm. Their son and two daughters loved nature as much as Jisoo did and Roseanne thanked the heavens every day for giving her such an amazing partner. She stood by the door as Jisoo soothed their eldest daughter after having her heart broken for the first time.

"You know what your grandpa always told me when I got my heart broken?" she asked the blonde girl.

Ella shook her head and rested it on her mother's shoulder, allowing herself to be comforted.

"He said that we had to look at our hearts like a grove of trees, just like here on the farm. Your heart is like the soil the trees grow in and because the roots of those trees reach so deep it hurts the soil when the trees hurt. Sometimes things happen in the grove and the trees and the soil get hurt or even get sick. So when we want to save that piece of land we remove the trees from the roots up, so that the land can have time to rest and heal. That could take a long time, but when the land heals we start ploughing again and that is like reopening the scars of that thing that hurt you so much. Once that is done we plant new seeds and feed them with fertilizer and water. The tears that you cry are like the water we need to help the trees grow and every time you cry you let go a little bit and that is like the fertilizer. Before you know it you have new trees and once one tree grows all the others grow too. Those new trees are like hope and when they bear fruit you can feed an entire town. Grandpa regrew his grove after grandma just walked away and when those fruits grew he gave me and your mommy hope again. I know it hurts, baby, but just like the grove, new trees will grow and they will get hurt, because that is just how life works. But one day the grove in your heart will look like mommy's and you will also bring smiles to everyone's face that you come across. If it wasn't for heartache and your mommy lending me some of her seeds of hope, we would never have been together. Just be strong baby girl, it gets better I promise."

Roseanne looked at her wife with tears in her eyes, even though Jisoo said that it was Roseanne's persistence that brought them together she knew that it was as simple as Hayden poisoning the groves in both their hearts and them replanting them together.

And she knew that falling in love with her ex-boyfriend's bestfriend is the best thing that happened to her.