Chapter 2

The conference had originally been planned for Vancouver but they had moved it to Victoria two months before due to security. I was alright with that, as Victoria was smaller than the big city of Vancouver, I had never been to either but I knew Vancouver was enormous. Victoria was a beautiful city, I had heard. Many of the delegates were staying at the Empress Hotel in Victoria. It is a beautiful and expensive historic hotel right on the waterfront, they are known nationwide for their high tea service. We elected to stay at a comfortable Airbnb instead, within walking distance. Victoria really was beautiful. It was March, not yet warm but spring was on its way. British Columbia's winters are nothing like ours up north, much more mild. There was no snow remaining as we drove down the streets.

"The last time I was in a car was when we were at Rocky Mountain to visit Marie," I reminded Clark and Heath, "It feels weird to not have the wind hit my face like in the side by side." Clark laughed, "Yes, us backcountry wolves are a little out of our element in a big city."

I shook my head, "We are not backcountry! We are rustic!" Heath snorted, not taking his eyes off the road, "I will be sure to tell the other delegates that at the conference." I smiled, gazing out the window. It was dusk by the time we were in Victoria. The city was truly beautiful with old stone buildings and a vast waterfront. There were vendors, buskers and artists selling their trades down next to the lines of boats. The sun hit the water, making the orange and red waves rock against the docks. The air smelled salty and fresh, it was a stark contrast to the Northwest Territories or even Saskatchewan.

"We are here; this is the address." Heath muttered as we pulled into a driveway. The Airbnb was a small cottage-like house on a quaint little street. We retrieved our bags and went inside. It was a small, sweet little place. There were two bedrooms, both with very comfortable beds. The kitchen, living and dining area was a single room with an electric fireplace. I surveyed the space, with its modern elegance. The best was the view. Out the large picture window in the living/dining area was the ocean. There were a couple boats on the water at sunset, it was like a postcard.

Heath came up next to me as I stared out the window at the scenery, "I suggest we get some take out tonight. We can go to the grocery store tomorrow and stock the kitchen. The conference won't start until Monday, so we have tomorrow to get settled in."

I nodded, "What day do Clark and I speak?" Heath adjusted his shoulders, "Wednesday at 10am. There are a couple Luna panels I would like you to attend on Thursday if that's alright." Clark came up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist, "She isn't Luna."

I rolled my eyes and smiled at my mate, "I am as close as Black Lake has, so it falls to me on Beta." Clark huffed, pushing his face into my neck. He still didn't like that I had taken on many of the Luna duties since Heath had become Alpha. I know he tried not to be possessive but I could feel it through the bond. "It's not like I haven't been trying for years to find my Luna." Heath muttered, his voice cracking. I turned to study his face, it was tense and cold.

"Let's order some dinner and get some rest. We can sleep late tomorrow, go for groceries and maybe do a little exploring." I suggested, trying to change the subject. They both nodded, sighed and huffed in exactly the same way. The brothers were more alike than they cared to admit, even though it was very obvious. I smiled to myself.

Heath took care of ordering dinner, he suggested sushi, since we were in British Columbia. I agreed to try it, not sure if I would enjoy it or not. While we waited for the food to arrive I went to the bedroom Clark and I had taken and began to unpack my suitcase into the dresser. I had brought two long dresses just in case we needed to go out in the evening as well. I hung them in the closet. The room wasn't huge like ours back home, but it would do for a week. Once I emptied my suitcase I zipped it up and placed it in the closet. Clark had brought a duffle bag instead of a suitcase, electing to carry on his clothes. I unpacked his things as well and tucked away his bag in the closet inside my own.