7

"I'm so sorry." you whipped your head downwards, not only had you made direct eye contact but also called him by name.

You didn't know what expression was on Rex lapis' face, nor did you dare to look up. You didn't want to see his expression. Disappointment? Rage? You didn't know.

Your eyes were clenched shut, until you were snapped out of your thoughts by cool fingers under your chin. Your eyes snapped open as slowly Rex lapis lifted your head upwards, your bottom lip quivered as you got a full view of his body.

Once again your eyes met his, but this time you shut them.

"Please stop." you softly pleaded.

As soon as the words left your mouth his fingers were gone leaving you with a depressing knot in your stomach.

"When will you stop putting yourself beneath me?"

"I am beneath you?" you more questioned than answered.

The sigh that followed let you know that he wasn't happy with your answer.

"Can you say it again?" he suddenly asked.

You swallowed nervously, what did he mean?

"Say my name Y/N."

Cold sweat began forming on your back, why had you said it? What kind of animalistic impulse had driven you to-- you merely shook your head.

Your heart pounded in your chest, every heartbeat reminded you of your failures. Fear seemed to cripple you, what felt like fire bubbled in your stomach when suddenly your mind went blank.

That feeling had a name didn't it? Butterflies in your stomach, you remembered reading.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Rex lapis suddenly asked, snapping you out of your thoughts.

You stood back up, raising your back to stand proudly. "Yes." you answered, determination shone in your eyes.

Necessary words went unspoken between the two of you, while a god of the battlefield, you had no knowledge of what any of your emotions meant. But something tugged at the back of your mind, like a silent scratch pleading for you to do something.

Rex lapis sat down in his golden throne once more, you didn't dare look at him. Anytime you saw him, your heart would flutter in your chest, a feeling you had no idea what meant at the time.

A few minutes later, four men walked into the room, all of them looked equally frail, weak and skinny. You raised your chin up high and stood protectively in front of Rex lapis.

They stared at you, before dropping to their knees.

"Please." one of them begged, you tried to swallow the desire to answer his pleas.

"Please?" Rex lapis repeated questioningly, this is why he had asked if you wanted to stay out of it. He knew you were too soft, which is why you had to prove him wrong.

One of the men suddenly stood up, out of all four of them he looked the most well of. He had a gleam of something in his eyes, something you didn't like. At the sight of him standing up the other three went silent, alarm flaring in their eyes.

"Please." the standing man sneered.

He began walking forward, every step was a step closer to his death. You knew it, everyone in the room knew it. As soon as his foot touched the stairs you would kill him, you wondered how it would look. Would you slash his throat? Would a vine be enough to end him easily?

Time almost seemed to slow, you noticed the glimmer of a knife not very well hidden in his tattered robes.

One second you were readying yourself to kill yet another person, the next you stood in front of him. His eyes widened at you, he moved back his hand, before he had a chance to even move the knife you grabbed his arm.