Chapter Three

"And what's going on here?" Alice asked as she entered the living room, amusement coloring her words.

"Book club," Liliana answered. Her and Jasper flashed their matching books to the pixie vampire. The corner of Jasper's mouth curled into a grin telling his mate that he knew that wasn't what she was referring to at all.

The Montgomerys had been with the Cullens for just over three weeks and they had blended in with the family seamlessly. John spent most of his time helping Carlisle or Esme with things around the house and training Lily. Liliana meanwhile worked with Edward and Alice to strengthen her gift. And when she wasn't doing that, she was Jasper's new best friend. Currently, her head was laying on Jasper's thigh while she read the book. Her presence didn't faze the vampire in the least.

Ever since she had shown the ability to block her scent, and had done it without any expectation or even being asked, the Southern boy had been glued to her side. He told Alice that Lily was a relaxing soul. There were some definite big brother/little sister vibes going on and Alice loved it. It had always been so hard on her mate to get close to people. Alice knew that Liliana Montgomery was good for her mate even if she couldn't see the future when it came to the girl.

"I hope they stay for a while," Alice muttered to Esme as she stepped into the kitchen to help with dinner.

Following her daughter's line of sight to see the two new friends on the couch, Esme smiled. "I do, too. She fits. They both do."

***

Lily had just finished eating when Carlisle and her dad returned from wherever they'd been. She hopped up from her seat and hurried over to them. "Excuse me, Doctor Cullen, but Dad said you could tell me more about the Volturi."

Carlisle stopped short in surprise. At least that's what she thought that expression on his face was.

"I told you that you could ask him to tell you. Use your manners," John chastised.

The girl grinned at Carlisle. "He found me on the street. I keep telling him that he should expect bad manners and a sassy mouth but he keeps correcting me. He'll learn eventually."

Laughter boomed from Emmett while the girl giggled. John could do little else but sigh.

Carlisle smiled. "I would be happy to tell you about the Volturi, Lily, but only if you call me Carlisle."

"Deal." She stuck out her hand and they shook on it.

The two of them retreated to Carlisle's office. He sat behind his desk and she sat in one of the comfy chairs in front of it. She sighed in contentment. "I love these chairs."

"I can see that," he said with a smile. "Now what exactly is it you wish to know. John lived there as well so I'm not sure what I can tell you that he couldn't."

She hummed in acknowledgement. "I wanted to know more about the kings and their trials and such. Dad said I should ask you because you would have a different perspective. He's told me more about Aro than any of them but he said he still has a guard's perspective in spite of the friendship."

"I see. It is true that our roles in the castle were very different. I served as more of an advisor. A friend." He huffed a laugh. "A sounding board more than anything. Sometimes I would just sit there while they all told me everything about a situation. Occasionally I would add my opinion, just as often they'd come to the solution on their own just from having said everything out loud."

"There were times they would spend days making a ruling or deciding on an action. Other times the accused would barely get to speak before they were executed. It may seem harsh but—"