Chapter Nine

A/N: This is short but it was the best place to cut. 

***

Lily opened the door of Carlisle's office to find Jasper standing inches from the other side. She jumped and pressed a hand to her chest. "Damn it, Whitlock. Don't do that to me." Cold hands grasped her upper arms but there was no other movement or words spoken. She frowned up at her friend, her eyes widening as she took in his pure black gaze. "Hello, Major." The Major was Jasper's alter ego that came out at times of stress and battle. He was lethal.

Suddenly, she was pulled against his chest and he buried his nose in her neck. She didn't think the Major would ever hurt her, but she needed to get Jasper calmed down. She wrapped her arms around him and dropped her block so she could send a message to Edward. Tell Alice the Major has made an appearance. No rush. He seems calm enough.

"We swore that we would not allow our sister to come to harm. How are we supposed to assure this if you are with them?" Jazz always spoke about himself in the plural when the Major took over.

"Hey, Major," Alice's sweet voice drifted to Lily. "How about we let Lily go so she can come downstairs and see everyone else?"

A low growl rolled through him, shocking Lily. She wasn't sure she'd ever heard him be anything but absolutely gentle with his mate. She patted his back. "Okay, Major, why don't you take me downstairs then? You don't have to let go yet."

Apparently, that was acceptable because the next thing she knew, she was sitting on Jasper's lap on the couch in the living room. Her back was to his front and he had his arms locked around her, head still buried in her neck.

She patted his leg. "The Major is concerned he won't be able to protect me when I go to Volterra." The arms tightened slightly but not enough to hurt.

"He's not the only one," Edward bit out. "What were you thinking agreeing to go to them?"

"What do you want her to do, Edward? They're her mates. It's not like she can just pretend they don't exist," Rosalie argued. Rose had never wanted to be a vampire. One of the only things that had brought her joy since she turned was her mate. She'd never want Lily to live without hers, no matter who they were.

"I don't like it," Emmett said.

"I know we're all worried about Lily, but I really think—" Esme started only to be cut off by Alice.

"You should remove the block again so I can see you. That would make us all feel better," she insisted.

It wasn't long before Lily found herself in the middle of her family as they argued with each other about whether or not she should go to her mates. About how stupid she was to tell them. About how they could fix this. They argued with each other, but not one of them was talking to her. Not one of them asked what she wanted. And the Major just continued to grasp onto her as if she'd disappear if he let her go.

Exasperated Lily looked around the room until her gaze landed on Carlisle watching from the upper landing. His hands were in his pockets and he gave her a look that very much said that it was time for to stand up for herself.

"Stop," she said while tugging on Major's arms. She received only a growl in response, while the others ignored her completely. "Stop!" she yelled and everyone turned to her. "Major, let go of me." His grip tightened again. "Major, I am not asking. You are a Southern gentleman and you will release a lady when she asks. Right. Now." He growled low in his throat again, but he released her as he did so.

She pushed herself from his lap and frowned at all of them. "I appreciate your concern, I really do, but frankly this has nothing to do with you. With any of you. The kings are my mates whether you like it or not. Nothing you say or do will change that, but you are likely to piss me off."

She paused to glance around the room at the mostly guilty expressions. "I have two weeks with my family before I move halfway across the world, please don't spend it fighting with me. What's done is done. Please don't make me feel like shit for wanting to be with my true mates. Don't make me choose between them and you. Just let me have my happy."

***

It had been an hour since Lily locked herself in her room following her rant at her family. She could occasionally hear them talking downstairs, but she didn't care enough to listen. Undoubtedly they were discussing how she'd fucked up. She sighed as she stared at the ceiling trying to discern details in the dim light. A light knock at her door caught her attention.

"Who is it?" she asked with a frown.

"Carlisle." His voice was soft and filled with understanding.

She got up from the bed and let him in, shutting and locking the door behind him. She pressed a soft kiss to his cheek as she passed him to head back to her bed. "Hey, Pop." His gaze sat heavy on her shoulders as she sat on the edge of the bed and looked at him expectantly. "What's up?"

He smiled softly. "You did good with them. It's hard to stand up to those you love, even if you are in the right."

"Is this where you award 50 points to Hufflepuff?"

He chuckled. "Not quite. I am incredibly proud of the woman you have become Lily and you should be as well. I can already see the queen you will be and we'll be all the better for it."

Tears flooded her eyes and she looked down to keep him from seeing. If she started crying, she wasn't certain she'd be able to stop. "Is this you asking me for special favors already?" she asked, steering the conversation to a less emotional path.

Carlisle sat on the bed beside her and placed a hand on her knee. "I don't mean it will benefit just our family, Lily. I mean all vampires will benefit from your presence beside the kings. Changes are coming and you should embrace them."

She nodded but couldn't think of a decent response.

After a moment, he patted her knee. "Now, for the actual reason I came in here."

She glanced over with a raised brow. "Yes?"

"The kings are requesting your personal phone number. If you do not wish me to give it to them, I will not, but it might be good for you to talk before you join them," Carlisle explained. She could tell from the expression on his face that he expected her to say no.

"It's fine, Carlisle. I'd like to speak with them."

His demeanor brightened immediately. "Fantastic. They'll be thrilled to hear it."

She called his name to stop him as he left the room. He stuck his head back in the door to see what she needed. "Please remind them that I'm human and require sleep. They can text but no calls from 10pm – 8am so sayeth the queen."

His laughter trailed after him as he headed back to his office.