Chapter Thirty-Four

Somehow the kings managed to convince their mate's guard to remain behind. They needed a moment with her, just her and them. They needed to repair the damage that had been done. Hopefully, their theories were correct and time spent in her presence would strengthen the bonds. Once their bond had been repaired, they could work on the others. For now their focus was on Liliana's health.

As they reached their floor, they paused at seeing the two guards outside of Aro's room. "I thought I told you not to leave her alone," he snapped.

"And we didn't. We have been here the entire time," Demetri stated.

Marcus frowned. "I rather thought you would be reuniting with her. Surely, you've missed her."

Jane turned to face him. "She left us and chose him over us. Why should we care that she has returned?"

He inwardly cringed, letting nothing show on his face. Jane and Demetri had been among those closest to Lily. For them to respond so coldly to her was unsettling. The sooner they got this mess resolved the better.

They dismissed the guards and entered the room once they left. Frowns settled on all of their faces when they didn't immediately see their mate.

It was Caius who found her on the side of the room where the bed blocked their view from the door. She sat on the floor, leaning against the wall staring straight ahead. Tear tracks were visible on her face though she was no longer crying.

Caius knelt on the floor in front of her and pushed the hair away from her face. "Lily?" His voice was soft, almost a whisper but there was no response from his queen.

He took her hands in his and ran his thumbs across her knuckles. "Little one, cuore mio, please look at me."

Still there was not a twitch of movement from her. Those blank eyes stared straight ahead not focusing on anything. Caius glanced over his shoulder to his brothers. He didn't speak a word, the fear on his face saying everything that needed to be said.

"Put her on the bed," Marcus instructed.

The blond scooped her up and carefully laid her on the bed. She was completely unresponsive. It was like moving a dead body. He swallowed past the lump in his throat. Seeing her like this terrified him.

Marcus moved to her side and grasped her hand. He patted the back of it. "Come on, my love. Come back to us." When that elicited no response, he moved to her cheek. Still nothing. His shoulders slumped and he bowed his head. After a moment, he looked to Aro. "Call Carlisle and get the Hale boy in here."

***

Japer hadn't been able to get anymore of a response from Liliana than the kings. And the only thing Carlisle could offer on her condition was that she needed blood. He'd talked them through running a tube down her throat. They'd fed her blood until her color started to return. That had been hours ago and she still hadn't so much as flinched.

For the moment, Marcus was alone with their mate. His brothers had gone to settle some business so they could take all the time they needed to be with her. He leaned forward in his chair with his elbows resting on his knees and his hands clasped in front of his mouth. "Oh, my love. Why couldn't we just have our happiness?"

He sighed and leaned back as he raked a hand through his hair. His gaze moved from her to the small portrait Aro kept of his sister hanging on the wall. "There was a time when Didyme died that I thought I might follow along with her. She had become my whole world, you see. Everything I was, everything I did, revolved around her. And then the Romanians..." He trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence even after all this time.