Chapter Seven

20 years old – Forks, Washington

The Cullens had returned to their residence in Forks, Washington after many years. It was a beautiful home tucked into a vibrant green forest. The weather was usually rainy, or at the very least, cloudy. Sunny days were few and far between. And the variety of animals that lived in the forests around them made it perfect.

Even Lily thought so and she wasn't a vampire. But she did love the rain. And she loved to explore the forests around the house. They'd moved mid-summer, but it was now fall and time for the first day of school. Lily was thoroughly entertained as she watched her siblings prepare. She'd continued taking online courses and already had one degree in linguistics and was working on another in art history.

"We need to go," Alice announced. "We're going to be late."

Lily followed them to the door, waving as they walked away to get in their cars. "Have fun in high school. Choose hugs, not drugs. Pay attention in class. Make good choices. Bye, I love you." She continued until they were at the end of the drive, knowing they could still hear her.

She chuckled as she shut the door. Turning, she found Esme watching her with crossed arms and an arched brow. "Did you have fun?"

Lily laughed and gestured to the door with her thumb. "Oh, yeah. That was hilarious."

Esme smiled and shook her head. "Get some work done. They finished the studio last night, by the way."

That had her bouncing on her feet in excitement. Most of her exercise came from training or running with her siblings, but she had discovered a love for dance when she and John lived in San Francisco. She'd maintained it after moving in with the Cullens. Upon their relocation to Forks, Carlisle and Esme made the decision to build her a small studio outside of the house. That way she could practice to her heart's content and her music wouldn't bother their vampy hearing. She couldn't wait to see it now that it was finished.

"Not so fast," Esme said, stopping her as she turned to open the front door. "School first."

Lily's shoulders slumped as she shut the door. "Fine," she grumbled and trudged up the stairs. Esme laughed, rubbing a hand over her back as she passed. At least she was only taking two classes at the moment.

She finished her work just before lunchtime and tapped her foot against the floor while she ate. Her gaze darted up to find Esme watching her with an amused expression. "I feel like I should wait for everyone to get home. I mean, they all worked on it."

"That's up to you, sweetie. Though they did say there was no need to wait on them. They know you're excited."

She'd barely finished speaking before Lily was on her feet. "Thanks, mom," she practically squealed as she wrapped the other woman in a hug and kissed her cheek.

Esme laughed. "I'll take care of your plate. Go on."

Lily changed her clothes before grabbing her mp3 player and heading outside to the studio. She hadn't seen it since early in its construction as everyone had wanted the final product to be a surprise. It was only a short walk to the small building and Lily gasped as it came into sight. It was all stone, gleaming wood, and glass. She let herself in with the key Esme had given her. One long wall was nothing but windows looking over the forest while the wall opposite was mirrored down the entire length, a barre running in front.

The vaulted ceiling showed exposed beams. In one corner was a relaxation area with beanbags, a chair and lots of brilliant fabrics. There was even a small fridge with a pitcher of water inside, glasses stacked on top. They'd thought of everything. Best of all was when she plugged her player into the provided dock and pulled up her dancing playlist and the sound flooded from every corner of the studio. It was perfect.