Chapter Ten

Two weeks passed much faster than she liked. When she wasn't spending as much time as possible with her family, she was texting the kings or getting to know the four guards they'd sent to watch over her. According to Carlisle, they had sent their top guards. Felix was a mountain of a man. Not only was he bulky, he was tall. She felt so small beside him. Demetri had spiky dirty blonde hair and a cheeky smile. He seemed to always have a look that said he was up to something.

Jane and Alec were twins and very young. Too young to be vampires anyway. Aro had apparently saved them after their village burned them at the stake. Lily couldn't even imagine how horrifying that must have been. She didn't blame the twins at all for being a little standoffish compared to the other two guards. Carlisle said a lot of the guard feared them because of their powers and they had always been a little distant because of that.

Liliana was currently packing up the last of her boxes as the guard would be there soon to collect her and all of her belongings. The kings had told her to bring anything she wished as they had a private jet and plenty of room. While she was taking a lot, she was leaving just as much. She intended to be back often to visit and didn't see the point in hauling stuff back and forth.

A throat cleared behind her and she turned in surprise to find her family standing behind her. "What's up guys?" she asked.

"You forgot some things," Edward said stepping forward to hand her something.

It took her a moment to realize that it was one of his favorite sweaters. Before she could even comment, Emmett, Carlisle and Jasper all stepped forward and handed her one of their own. Tears sprung to her eyes. She was always stealing their sweaters and hoodies. Now they were giving her some to take with her so she could have them with her. "Thank you," she said softly, but knew they'd heard. She placed them in a nearly empty box that was on her bed.

When she turned back to face them, Esme stepped forward with a soft smile. She handed her a beautiful, heavy quilt with hand stitching and rich, burgundy velveteen and rose patterned fabric. Lily started to unfold it and Esme stopped her. "Save it for your first night alone. Then open it and look at it."

Lily frowned in confusion but nodded and packed the blanket away with the sweaters. "Thank you, Esme. It's lovely."

Alice handed her a wrapped box with a grin. "You'll look amazing in it but save it for when you need to feel like a badass."

She didn't even question Alice anymore. Lily merely nodded and added it to the box. When Rosalie stepped forward, Lily shook her head. "You guys didn't need to give me stuff, you know. This isn't forever, and I already know you love me."

"Hush," Rosalie said and tossed her a set of keys. "I had it delivered to Volterra. I wanted you to have your own car. Your own freedom."

Lily blinked. "You bought me a car?" She honestly wasn't sure why she was surprised. They'd always been rather extravagant with their gifts.

Rose frowned. "Of course, I did."

Lily's lips twitched in amusement. "Well, thank you." She looked over her family and oh, how her heart hurt to leave them. And the feeling was mutual if the tears in their own eyes were anything to go by. "I have to confess that I got you guys some things as well but I snuck them into your rooms when you weren't looking." By the time she finished her shrug they were all gone, having dashed to their respective rooms. She chuckled and closed up the box her family had just helped her fill.

She made her way to Edward's room first and found him staring at the painting she'd given him. The two of them had found an exquisite meadow filled with flowers during their explorations of their new home. They'd spent the whole day there together just talking and spending time with one another. She'd recreated her own version of that beautiful meadow, making sure it fit in with the rest of his room. "If you don't like it, you don't have to put it up."