Chapter 3

"I'm telling you Luce, it was awful! I swear he was singling me out for the rest of class." Lucy looked up at me from her sandwich, taken aback by the statement.

"Oh gosh, I have Mr. Daniels next. I'm considering ditching lunch just so I can be an entire period early to his class."

"Yeah, and that wasn't even the weirdest thing. Earlier, I could have sworn that someone was watching me. Like, after you went to class.

"I was walking down the next hallway, and there was just, like this guy staring at me. I couldn't figure out who he was, but as soon as he saw me he disappeared."

I finally decided to start eating my own lunch, although a chill ran through my spine just thinking about the day I had so far.

"Hm, it was probably some secret murderer plotting your death," she eyed me sarcastically.

"Laugh all you want now, when they're filming my documentary you're gonna feel so bad." We both laughed, then changed the subject.

"So, have you given babysitting any thoughts?"

"Oh yeah, plenty actually. All of them being a definite no."

I could hear Lucy bite into a large, red apple.

"Oh, come on Rach! We can write it down as community service on our college resumes. Plus, it'll be fun to hang out together!"

"Luce, you do realize that we hang out like every day, right?"

She tried to suppress a laugh then commented, "Okay well, this may be true. Although," she held up a finger to emphasize her point. "we could suffer together! Isn't suffering together always fun?"

"Well, I was unaware that 'suffering' is all of a sudden a fun new thing to do, but the community service thing does sound enticing."

"Great! We'll start Friday!"

I almost choked on my food.

"Whoa there babe, I did not agree to this yet."

I looked up at the clock in the cafeteria and saw that lunch was almost over. I had barely even touched my sandwich.

"Sure you did, in your own Rachel way. Come on! It'll look great on a resume, I can see it now. 'A way I enjoy spending my time is by caring for children by creating an intriguing, educational environment.

"It helped me learn to build social skills, multitasking skills, patience, and much love for children."

I looked at her like she just spoke a different language.

"Sweet moon, how did you just do that?"

"Oh Rach, what can I say? I'm just very talented."

"And humble about it too." We both giggled again. I thought for a moment and finally agreed.

"Well I never thought I'd say this, but... oh whatever. Count me in." An excited smile grew on her face, and she started clapping.

"Oh my gosh, really?! It'll be awesome! I swear!"

I looked her dead in the eyes, and her expression became serious.

"On one condition though."

"What? Anything."

"You have to write my college resume for me." She started laughing and said, "Well duh! Like I'd ever let you write your own. I'd like to see my bestie get into college!"

We both started laughing even harder, and then the dreadful sound of the bell rang. Lucy got up from her seat.

"I'll see you in a bit! I think we have seventh period together."