Chapter 7

I had managed to finally make it through the week, and at last it was Friday. Even though I just wanted to go home and binge watch Netflix, I'd promised Lucy that I would babysit with her.

"This is a one time thing Luce, I'm telling you right now."

"Trust me babe, you're gonna love it!"

I made a deal with Lucy that I would go with her one time. If I hated it, then I wouldn't do it ever again. Although, Lucy seemed to think that it would become my new favorite hobby.

"Yeah, we'll see."

Lucy heard from a friend of a cousin of a sister of a friend, or something like that, of a babysitting job. Just one kid, a girl, seven years old.

"Hey, do you think they have cookies? I'm starving," I inquired.

"I mean I'm sure they'll have food of some kind."

"No, not good enough. Cookies... chocolate chip cookies. I require cookies to work."

"Work? We'll probably sit there on our phones the whole time while the kid plays."

"Yeah well, I'm sure it'll build up my already high appetite." Lucy laughed at me, and we kept walking.

Neither Lucy or I had a car and our parents were both working, therefore we were trekking on foot. I'm sure that our gym teacher would be proud.

We lived pretty close to school, so we usually had to walk home when our parents couldn't pick us up. It gave us extra time to talk anyways, so we didn't mind it.

We'd decided to just walk to this particular neighborhood after school because it was apparently close to it. Although every day was growing colder, and a car was starting to sound pretty nice.

"Luce, how much further until we get to this stupid house?"

"Oh calm down, we're already in the neighborhood, it shouldn't be very long now. Just enjoy the scenery."

I sighed and looked around me. I had to admit, the neighborhood was beautiful. The road we were walking on had trees aligned down it on each side.

The branches and leaves met in the middle so that they were hovering over us. Most of the leaves had already changed to bright oranges and yellows. I felt like we were in a painting.

I closed my eyes, breathing in the crisp fall-like air.

"Uh Rach, you alive?" I opened my eyes feeling incredibly stupid.

"Yes, unfortunately," I joked.

Lucy gave me a quick laugh, then babbled on.

"You know, after you realize your passion for babysitting, you're gonna really love me. I mean, looking back, you're gonna be so grateful that you'll... buy me an island!"

"Oh yeah? With what money?"

"The money from babysitting of course!"

I laughed, then continued,

"Now I may not be an expert on babysitting, but I'm pretty sure we aren't gonna get paid with hundreds of thousands of dollars."

"I mean... the better the babysitter the better the pay! And I am the best of the best so..."

"So you don't even need me! Guess I'll turn around and go home now. It truly was a blast!"

I turned sarcastically, but Lucy grabbed me and spun me right back around.

"Well, since we're already here, you might as well just stay." I gave her a rude smile, then noticed the house we were standing in front of.

"Umm... Luce... not to be a buzzkill but... I don't feel like dying today so I advise we turn around and go home." She laughed at my declaration.