Chapter 30

We stopped for gas finally. Kaleb got out of the car.

"Do you want anything?" He sighed, leaning his arm against the top rim of the car with the door open.

I barely side-eyed him and kept staring at the dashboard. I shook my head no. I think this was the quietest I've ever been.

The sun was close to setting at this point. I had completely lost any grip on time that I had.

After a few minutes Kaleb opened the door and swung himself back into the car. He put his arm along my seat and looked behind us to back up the car.

His jaw was clenched and he seemed to be extremely focused on something, even after pulling out of the gas station.

I finally found my voice.

"Kaleb."

Silence.

"Ka-"

"Rachel. I'm sorry." Kaleb's voice quivered.

Of all the things I expected him to say...

"Wh- What?" I pleaded. I looked over to him and I swear that I could see his eyes water.

"Rachel, the things you witnessed tonight... You're never going to be the same. And I could have stopped it. I could have prevented you from leaving my house. I could have done something."

"Kaleb, it's okay. I just- I'm trying to fully understand. What happened... did it have to do with all the stuff you were telling me?"

"Rachel."

My breath hitched.

"Kaleb."

"You have to acknowledge that the stuff I said was real. You must believe me now."

I hesitated, not knowing what to think.

"Kaleb, what happened today?" I said, almost whispering.

His brow furrowed, seeming to think of an explanation for a few moments.

"Rachel, the slayers want you. As I told you, they will stop at nothing to capture you."

"But what about all the things Oliver said?"

"I don't know what Oilver told you, but I would suggest not trusting a slayer."

All the things he said though... it couldn't have all been lies. He said he loves me. I love him. I think...

I decided to drop the subject and asked about the more prominent topic.\

"Kaleb where even are we? When are you taking me home?"

"Home? Rachel, have you not heard anything I've been telling you?"

I looked at him, questioningly. He placed his hand on the stick shift and sped up.

"The hunt... it's begun."