Chapter 27

I don't know how long I drove for, nor did I care.

By this point, the sun was fully out but had been covered by an abundant amount of clouds. It looked as though it would rain. Lovely.

I was doing 65 on a road with a speed-limit of 50. It didn't even phase me, but to be fair, at this point, nothing could.

Werewolves. Werewolves along with other supernatural creatures of the world actually... exist?
They couldn't. They just couldn't. It wasn't possible but why would Kaleb lie to me? But at the same time why was I so willing to trust a complete stranger? Sweet moon, Racehl, what have you gotten yourself into now?

I felt my phone vibrating from underneath my thigh, for what felt like the thousandth time, so I finally decided to answer.

I grabbed my phone quickly, hit the speaker, and threw it on the center console. I remained silent until I heard a sigh into the phone.

"Hello?" I quivered.

"Rachel," Oliver said, sounding shocked. "Where are you right now?"

"On my way." My voice said emptily... I felt as though my actions and words were being performed by someone who wasn't me. I wasn't even thinking about it at this point. Just doing.

A moment of understanding passed between us. Like we were on the same page for the first time in a while.

"Good," was all he muttered before hanging up. I hit the gas.

After an eternity I swerved into what looked like an abandoned alleyway and it was officially pouring. I got out of the car, slammed the door shut, and only took a second to note my terrible appearance. Mascara smeared all down my cheeks... hair frantic. Whatever.

"Oliver!" I screamed. "Oliver, I'm here."

Where is he?

"Damn it, Oliver, where are you!?" I paced back and forth in front of my car. Anyone who could see me at that moment would have probably tried to put me in a mental institution.

"Agh!" I screamed and slammed my fist on the hood of my car. I jumped back.

"Shit!" I grabbed my wrist... probably broken. It felt like it had just been engulfed by flames and there was even a dent in my car.

"Ouch... that had to hurt." A voice crept up behind me. I spun around to face the deadend if the alley.

"Oliver? Where did you come from!"

"Does it matter, love?" He smirked.

"I'm about to break my other wrist if someone doesn't explain to me what the hell is going on."

"Oh... did you not talk to K- er- Anika's neighbor?"

"No. Why would I have?" I lied. Just because I was getting the other side of whatever twisted story this was didn't mean I had to make myself completely vulnerable... If Kaleb was right about everything he said about Oliver, anyway.

"Okay, Rach... This is going to be a lot. I don't even know where to start. There are a lot of sick people in this world. Now, can I ask you something?"

I hesitated, "Sure..."

"You have to promise me something, Rach. Give me your word that you will."

"Oliver, I don't kn-"

"Promise me, Rach. Show me that I can trust you. Trust me." He begged. "Promise me."

I stared at him in those familiar green forests of eyes. There had to be truth to his words. There has to be.

"I... I trust you." I didn't lie this time. "I promise." I offered.

He sighed with relief and closed his eyes for a moment.

"Good," he exclaimed, stepping closer to me to close the space in between us. He grabbed my arm and furrowed his brow.

"Are you hurt?" He spoke, staring down at my wrist.

"I'm fine." I stuttered.

"You should get that looked at, Rach."

"No, no. Stop trying to stall. What did I promise?"
"To never go around Anika or her neighborhood again. Do you understand?"

"What! Why?"

"You promised, Rach."

"No... no, no, no. That is not fair Oliver. I expect an explanation. Now."

He dropped my arm and backed up from me.

"Why do you even care? How is that 'not fair' Rach? You can babysit anywhere else."

I needed to think of something, quickly. I did trust him... couldn't I be honest with him?
"I- well- I," Then I had a gut feeling. Something was off. How I knew that? No idea... not a clue. But I did.

"Oliver it's just... Anilka is the only kid that Lucy's mom is willing to let her babysit. I think they're family friends. I'm only in it for Luce."

I stared him directly in the eyes. Usually when people divert their attention to looking around at their surroundings, it means they're lying.

He looked suspicious. Definitely like he didn't believe me.

"Hm." He raised one eyebrow.

We were quiet for at least two minutes. I inched toward him even more and used my one good hand to reach out to his shoulder. He shuddered.

"Oliver, give me an explanation. Please."

He looked down at my neck.

"Where's your necklace, Rach?"

"What?"

"Your necklace." He said, emotionless. "Where did it go?"

I looked down, pretending to be puzzled.

"Oh, that's weird... it must have fallen off in my room." I lied again.

These lies were stacking up and it was starting to make me uncomfortable. I felt like I could trust him but...

"Do you have an explanation, Oliver?"

"Yes, I'm sorry."

"Go on," I bartered.

"Rach, there are so many sick people in this world."

"So you said."

"Yes... I know. I- I just don't want to see anything happen to you. I was worried you may have spoken to Anika's neighbor."

"Why would I have done that?"

"If he lured you to him somehow... I'm not sure. Rach, he is bad news. He has a very dangerous- family. Your friend Brianna?"

"Bri?" Even the mention of her name brought water to my eyes.

"Yes, Bri. Rach... how do I say this... You see, Bri didn't exactly run away. She was taken."

So I've heard.

"She was taken by them, Rach. And I don't want you getting involved with that."

"What?" I gasped. "How do you know that?!"

"I have... my ways, Rach. See, I haven't been completely honest with you either. And I offer my sincerest apologies for that. I fear I may have dropped a wallet at your house?"

"Y- yeah."

"I can explain that. I can explain everything Rach, but first I need you to understand something..."

I stared at him with trusting eyes. I wanted him to tell me something I could believe so badly. I was looking for anything to hold onto. Well, anything other than my broken wrist.

"Rach, I'm in love with you."

My mouth gaped in shock.

"I knew from the moment I laid eyes on your beauty that you were everything I could ever want. You're daring, caring, loving... I couldn't have helped falling in love with you. You, Rachel Jones, are the most sincere and amazing person I've ever met. I. Love. You."

Time.

Froze.