Chapter 8

The car ride home was silent.

There was a good chance that my mom was mad at me.

We had been fighting a lot lately. I felt like no matter what, everything I did was never enough. No matter how hard I tried, it didn't matter.

I ran my fingertips along the necklace my dad gave me. It was made out of some kind of purple gemstone, probably amethyst. The coldness of it comforted me.

I bet even he would understand. I still hadn't taken the necklace off since Oliver put it on me. Just glazing my fingers over it filled me with an undeniable warmth.

"You shouldn't have been out this late," Mom reprimanded.

"So first: You yell at me for not having a job, and now you're yelling at me because I do?"

"Rachel, enough. I do not have the energy to put up with this tonight."

Of course she didn't. I couldn't even have a simple conversation with my mother without her cutting it off like that.

Lucy poked me on the shoulder and lip synced the word phone. I grabbed mine, and saw that she had texted me.

a job??!! omg does this mean that this is ur new job?!!!

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Was she seriously asking me about babysitting right now? I looked out of my window, feeling empty.

"So Lucy, I figured that since we're close to our house, that you could just spend the night. That is, if you and Rachel want."

Lucy hit me excitedly, and I saw her shake her head up and down when I looked at her. I went back to glaring out my window.

"Sure, whatever," I grimaced.

I felt another vibration and picked up my phone.

what's wrong?

I sighed, then started typing.

What's wrong? Seriously? What do u think is wrong! No matter what I do, it's never enough. My mom will never get over the fact that my dad left us YEARS ago and she won't even talk about it. I mean what kind of mom won't comfort her kid about something like that! She doesn't talk to me, she doesn't listen to me, she doesn't even care. I feel like the only people I truly have are u and my sister, and I never feel like I can talk to u about this stuff anyways. U have a perfect home life, so u wouldn't understand Luce. U just wouldn't get it. That's why I can't talk to u about this, I just can't put u in that position...

And that's why I chose to delete that message.

Nothing, it's just my mom. She really makes me mad sometimes. We have some of ur stuff at our house btw, so don't worry abt not having a sleepover bag lol

lol, ok. well lemme no if you need to talk abt anything, i'm here.

I loved Lucy, she was my best friend.

Without a doubt she would let me talk to her about anything, anytime. I didn't need to talk about it though. If I needed anything, it was more ice cream.

"Lucy, are you sleeping over?" Lucy looked to me for an answer.

"Yes Mom, of course she's sleeping over."