Chapter 22

The following day I tried to get over to Anika's neighbor's as fast as I could. Luckily my mother didn't even notice my disappearance last night. Typical.

I grabbed a banana and got out the door before anyone was even awake. I left a note, though, saying I was heading over to babysit Anika.

I took my mother's car and backed out of the driveway. As I edged closer to Anika's ominous neighbor's house I started replaying the night in my mind. That's when I felt my phone vibrate.

Need to talk. Call me ASAP. -Oliver

Shit. Oliver. I parked one or two blocks away from the house and just responded with a simple "okay."

I didn't even think it was possible to have a more pressing matter at hand, but somehow it seemed I did.

It was a hot day. We were pretty far into the summer by now. I couldn't even begin to think about being a senior. Where had the year even gone.

As I began to approach the doorstep to Anika's neighbor's, something weird hit me. I almost fell back. A gust of wind? Who even knows...

I knocked once... twice, three times. No answer. As I stood in front of the door I could feel hope draining away from me. Emotion, draining away.

I didn't even know what the hell I was doing standing there, waiting for answers I would probably never get. Why did I care so much? Why was I SO obsessed?

What was drawing me towards this? Had that concussion messed me up this badly?

I knocked again. Forcefully. I didn't care if the sun was barely up. I didn't care if I woke up the entire freaking world. I knocked. Harder... harder. Harder...

Then the door swung open.

Anika's neighbor seemed annoyed. Not tired so much but as though... something was wrong. And it wasn't me. How do I even know that?

"Hey, uh I-" before I could get out a word he grabbed me and forcefully shoved me through the entryway.

"Hey! Excuse you. Not even gonna invite me in?" I snarked.

He slammed the door shut and practically ran past me. I followed him.

"Oh yeah, I'm great too, thanks for asking." I said, frantically trying to keep up. He went around to all the windows and shut all the blinds. It wasn't even sunny yet...

I spoke again. "Hello? Random girl who you tried to save from uncertain death standing in your living room wanting answers here!"

After he circled around the first floor once more, extremely tense, he stopped dead in his tracks. He swerved around and responded sarcastically,

"Hello. Welcome to my humble home. You can come in, sure. Not like it's even 7 AM yet but hey! No biggie. Why don't you make yourself comfortable in MY home at an untimely hour as you follow me around barking orders at me to explain to you things beyond your understanding.

"Oh, and you're welcome for that, by the way. You know, the whole saving your life thing!" He yelled.

Oh sweet moon. Two can play it this way.

Even though he was facing me, I inched even closer to him causing him to take a step back.

"Yes! Thank you for that kind stranger! I just so appreciate someone I don't even KNOW coming into my life and trying to save me from things I 'don't understand' when I am perfectly capable!" I screamed. I took a breath and continued.