Chapter six

CHAPTER SIX: smart and smarter

▀▄▀▄▀▄ s҉t҉u҉t҉t҉e҉r҉ ▄▀▄▀▄▀

JAXSON CULLEN WALKED BY LEO DOOLEY'S SIDE, STARING AT THE OTHER'S PROGRESS REPORT.  "H-how a-are yo-ou al-always lat-te to-o cl-lass?"

"I don't know," Leo answered, looking at his progress card in disbelief.

"Hey, Leo, Jaxson, what's that?" Bree asked, walking up to the two boys.

"It's my progress report. I can't believe my science teacher says I'm always late to class." Leo repeated.

"Well, you are always late to class," Adam spoke up.

"I know that, but I don't need it publicized."

Adam nodded his head, turning back to his locker. Chase came running towards the four. "Look at this! An A-minus! I knew my home ec teaches had it out for me. Always criticizing my muffins." The younger bionic boy shook his head.

"Haha!" Adam laughed, smiling and holding up his progress card. "I beat you! I got a D-plus! Plus because I'm better."

"Adam, you know the plus is-" Bree went to explain, cutting herself off. "You know what? It's just not even worth it anymore."

"D is not a good grade," Chase said. "But we don't read expect you to get good grades. I'm engineered to be the smartest person on the planet, and I just got an A-minus. I've been relegated to the huddled. Unwanted masses if minuses. Like you!" he gestures to the hallway, pausing. "Well, you three." he pointed to Adam, Bree, and Leo.

Bree smiled, Adam being too distracted by the food in his locker while both Leo and Jaxson had been looking at the bionic one in surprise.

"Chase," Bree spoke. "I know this must be hard for you, but, I mean, look at the bright side; seeing you fall flat on your face is really fun for us."

"Re-remind-d m-e to-o ne-ever get-t a p-pep fr-from Br-ree," Jaxson commented, Leo, nodding in both agreeing with Bree and Jaxson.

"I have got to find a way to reclaim my superiority." Chase continued.

"Well, you could sign up for the student of the semester competition," Leo suggested.

"What's that?" Chase asked, perking up at the idea that something will help him prove to be the smartest man alive.

"Every semester, kids compete to see who can beat improve the school. Whoever gets the most votes wins free pencils, a bumper sticker, and a cheesy picture of himself on the wall!" Leo explained, gesturing to the picture hanging on the wall by the stairs.