0.1 | word on the street.

«word on the street»

🗝

LISSA BREKKER made her way through the pouring rain, her feet splattering on the water collected on the ground, stepping on puddles on purpose and making her way through the very sketchy crowd almost effortlessly, these were her streets and she knew them well, still Kaz was cautious — he'd told her to blend in with the crowd because of the people around, but Lissa was never one to dull herself even if it may be for safety. He'd also told her to not be alone on the streets so late, but Lissa didn't listen, she had advantage — she was his sister.

Besides if you were planning to be soft on the streets of Ketterdam you might as well just lay down on the road and wait for someone to beat you up.

"Ah, Hester!" Lissa said plastering a smile on her face, it was forced and fake, but she'd done it long enough to make it convincing, "Look at you, aren't you a sight to see?" she winked at the blonde woman who seemed flattered by her compliment, waving her hand in dismissal, but Lissa didn't care — her eyes were set on the diamond studded bracelet on her hand.

"Oh, you silly girl!" Hester said, her kaelish accent popping more now that she was flustered, "Always showering me with compliments"

"It's because you deserve them all" Lissa told her and as she moved away with a mock two finger salute, her palm now had something worth way more than she could assume. She quickly shoved the bracelet in her inner pocket, and as much as she wanted to pat the now full space, she could not.

That's a mistake you want to avoid at all costs, she would know, she's taken advantage of it.

"Ivan!" Lissa skipped over to the man, who passed her a kind smile, "No sale today?" she asked and watched the man's face fall, she felt weird.

"Why would people want to buy plums when they can just steal it?" Ivan said, his tone was intended to be lighthearted but Lissa could hear the sadness through his voice.

Lissa pursed her lips, she'd known what it was like to work hard yet get no result at all, she knew what it felt like, and she'd learned how to trick the people, but Ivan was an honest man — Ketterdam didn't have many of those around, "Tell you what? I'm sure Dregs would appreciate me buying them some plums" she reached inside her outer pocket for the money and handed it to Ivan.

"That's nearly enough for all of these..." Ivan said as he stared at the amount of money in his hands and then at Lissa, "Surely you don't want to..."

"Oh, but I do" Lissa grinned, "I live around messy, angry, barely human men, Ivan, they'll tear through these in seconds like vultures" she told him.

"Thank you, Lissa" Ivan teared up, "May the saints watch over you..." he told her.

"Saints don't watch over me, Ivan" Lissa passed him a tight lipped smile, "Besides, I'm not doing it for you — I'm trying to bribe everyone in the club so I can get the deets on everything before someone else does" she shrugged.