0.9 | trick as old as time.

«trick as old as time»

🗝

LISSA BREKKER HAS HER FEARS. She's always had them — life without fear would be like a life without breathing for her, it simply would not exist. She would always be scared, nothing could stop that, but the trick she uses is — fake it. When people talk about the Devileyes on the street, they don't see Lissa Brekker, the scared little girl she's always been, no, they see Devileyes and Devileyes only, because Lissa will not let them see anyone else, her fury, her need for vengeance step forward as her fear backs away. Lissa's doing the same right now, for this mission — they wouldn't be in need of Lissa Brekker, only Devileyes.

"The Skiff is still here, travelers downstairs are complaining, they were due to cross this morning," says Inej as Lissa packs herself with daggers and a single gun that Jesper had gotten her as a gift, it was a small but with the right aim and the right shot, it could do wonders, or at least that's what Jesper said.

"Orders from the Black General, he plans to cross on it tomorrow," Kaz said to them, his papers laid out in front of him along with a cup of coffee.

"He's probably too busy turning his grisha into slaves..." Lissa muttered darkly, rolling her eyes — the summoner being held against her will doesn't sound so great to her, and yeah, they were planning to kidnap her, but it would've been purely for greed — who knows what the general wants to do with her?

"Hold on, the Black General?" Jesper said looking around, "You mean the same General who tried to, oh, yeah, kill us all?" he asked, his tone dripping with disbelief, "That one?"

"Don't blow this out of proportion, almost everyone in Ketterdam has tried to kill us all," Lissa slid into a chair, taking a sip of her own coffee — it went down her throat easily now, seeing as she'd drank more coffee than she had water on this trip, "We don't get so cautious there, do we?"

"That's different," Kaz said, "And you should be more cautious, perhaps then you wouldn't have had a stab wound," he gave a pointed glare to which she grinned, he looked away with exhaustion, "The Black General has the sun summoner."

"Was this your plan all along?" Inej asked and Lissa rolled her eyes, "To have the general take her so you can get her back again?"

"That's what our plan was, Inej, yes," Lissa said pointedly, shutting up when Kaz passed her yet another glare.

"My plan is to get us across the fold," Kaz said, both his hands wrapped around the head of his cane as he spoke the next few words with caution, warning off everyone, "We aren't prepared for another fight."