Ch 16 (rewritten)

After that Senku and the rest of the guys got to making the cure-all drug for Ruri, and with the alcohol and vinegar they got from winning the bout it made operations that much easier.

"Fun with making sulfa drugs. Step 1." Senku introduced. "First, we're using a burnable rock called coal to--"

"Burnable rocks!" Chrome yelled running from the land to his shed. "Got it. I have some in my shelter." He said but as he looked inside he found that the clay pot was empty.

"We used to all of it when we made iron." Senku said.

"Damn it!" Chrome cried.

"Don't worry. We can find plenty of the kind of cheap coal that you gathered from any of the mountains around here. Beside, it's not even the coal that we want. It's the coal tar that's left after it's burned." Senku said as he scraped the edged of the chimney with a bamboo stick.

He looked back to find Seira sitting in a tree nearby using her hand to play with Coco who's laying down on her lap. Seira noticed him staring and sent him a glare before putting Coco on her head and jumping off the tree and walked into the forest.

"Where are you--"

"Home." She said without looking back making him sigh, but he snaps out of it and continues to do the task at hand.

"First, wash it with hydrochloric acid, then throw in ethyl acetate made form alcohol and vinegar, and we have anilin." He said as he pours it in the round bottomed flask.

"Hold it, hold it! I'm already totally lost! That's step one? How many of these complicated steps ar we doing by tomorrow?" Chrome asked.

"Oh,up to... step 25, maybe?" Senku said.

"Holy..." chrome paled.

The gang work tirelessly until the sunsets with the determination to make Ruri the cure to her sickness and work even through the night, nearby Seira is watching as her brother and Chrome as they make what they need in silence.

The next day by the small water fall. Kaseki is laying down sleeping while Gen is in the water inspecting the latest machine spinning around with the current of the fall.

"So what is this thing, anyway? Can I take a look inside already?" He said and took it out, he poured out the fizzy liquid in a beaker and recieved a shock. "Is this..."

Carbonated water acquired!!

Gen ran through the forest with beakers in hand as he thinks back to the time he asked Senku to make him cola.

Nah, there's no way he's that nice! He thought happily. Senku-chan, What's this fizzy water for?....Oh,no!" He said looking at the state of Chrome and Senku in the lab.

"Was there an explosion or something? This is pretty bad, huh? What have you done?" He asked.

"We haven't done anything, really. We poured vinegar on some cooked shells,extracted glacial acetic acid using sulfuric acid, turned it into ketene in an iron pipe,and put it back to make acetic anyhydride." Senku said.

"H-Huh. I see." Gen said.

"So I tried to drop that acetic anyhydride into the aniline, but I poured way to much, and Kaboom." Senku said.

"So that's what this wreckage is from." Gen said.

"Mix the chlorosulfuric acid into the acetaniline we just made, and we get para-acetamidobenzenesulfonyl chloride. Throw some ammonia in there to make  para-acetamidobenzenesulfonic acid, cook it in hydrochloric acid and you get that stuff." Senku said pointing to the boiling chemical not far from them.