Chapter 19: Of When the Wolf came back home

"Mom is really sick, and I don't think she has much time left. Even if it's just once, I believe she would want to see you, and it would be a good opportunity to find out about...us. To find answers to what happened to us, why she abandoned us. She might be fragile, but she's got energy left, at least enough to answer us or curse at us"

"...Why?"

"Huh?"

"Why now? It's been almost two years since we met, Byungsoo. We've bonded and formed a relationship, but it's only when our mother is on death's doorstep, you want me to meet with her? Why? Why not sooner?"

There's silence on the other line. Moonjo's grip on the phone tightens. He doesn't want to be angry at his brother, but he couldn't help feel betrayed. It was strange, he had sworn himself he didn't want to meet his parents, the only relative he would care about was his brother, but the sting was there. The dentist could hear his brother's nervous pacing, and the trembling sigh felt as if it was wind going through an empty corridor.

"I...was scared. No, I am scared, actually..."

"Of what, Byungsoo? ...Of me? Or of what I could say to our mother-?"

"I'm scared I'll lose you if you meet her", his brother answered, and it didn't sound as if he was lying. Byungsoo couldn't lie to him even if he wanted, he was way too naïve and trusting to be like that. A bad characteristic for a lawyer, he had to admit.

"Byung...Why would you think that? I'm quite hurt you said that, you know. If I wanted to leave you, I would had done it long ago, idiot-"

"It's not that. I'm scared of what she...Of what mom could do when she sees you. I...fear she'll..."

Moonjo knew he couldn't say it. It was obvious what he meant. I'm scared she'll confess she missed you, but not me. But why would that meant Moonjo would leave his brother? If anything, he would be even more disgusted and it would give him more reasons to stay away from his mother. Byungsoo didn't want to admit it, but their mother had never made an attempt to connect with him. She left him with their maternal grandparents when he was barely a toddler, and the times she would visit briefly, but never to meet little Byungsoo.

Byungsoo would always try to have a relationship with his mother, calling her and sending her pictures of his children and telling her about special occasions, but was always met with a cold reply or silence. The woman was clearly ignoring him, but Byungsoo didn't give up. He just kept trying, he even took care of her as much as he could while she was sick. But that damned woman still treated him like garbage. He just wondered why she would give birth to them just to toss a son far away from her and abandon the other. It just didn't make sense...

"Look...No matter what, Byungsoo, I'll be with you. I'm not going to leave you. I don't care about...our mother. I only care about you. So, just tell me what to do. Do you want me to go see her, or should we just leave it as it is? I don't think she remembers she had another son, if I'm honest," Moonjo explained, trying not to roll his eyes.

"...Please. Just...come with me. I think I also need this. I need to see what happens if she sees you, and...I also want answers. I want to know why they abandoned us, we deserve that much, don't you think?"

"Yes. I also want to know what's going on with our fucked up family. I'm starting to think I come from a family full of freaks, just look what kind of brother I have! So ugly and crazy, can you believe he thinks he's the handsome brother?" Moonjo smirked, trying to tease his brother.

"You mother...!" Byungsoo stopped before he could cuss at him, only to laugh. After a few minutes, the lawyer calmed down, and the mood changed for the better. The dentist could tell his brother was smiling. "You know...Mom lives in the same house I used to visit with our grandparents, when I was little. Maybe we could find something interesting in the attic"