29

Yobanna

I watched her sleeping quietly,she had worked over night at Nick's place the previous night and here she was sleeping so soundly in the middle of class, this was like the second time I was seeing something like that. Girl didn't sleep no matter what and for her to sleep,she really was tired and somehow I found myself melting while I watched her sleeping soundly.

I watched her, committing every single feature to my memory,the way her eye lids didn't flutter,the perfect bow shape lips and the nose, definitely straight. She looked every bit calm like music,the type that could lure you. I knew I looked like a creep, watching her like that instead of concentrating on my mathematics class but she was worth it.

"Mr Yobanna,I really know Selena is beautiful but would you please focus"

My head snapped quickly from her face and with the little giggles here and there,side talks and the teacher's face,I realized they had probably been watching for a second or two. I saw myself been,I couldn't place it,was it shy or embarrassed.

The mathematics teacher was still watching me,her hands akimbo,I could tell she was struggling between keeping a smile and a frown. Everyone knew Miss Indidong was super friendly and young,the best mathematics teacher you could get.

In St Louis, everything was different,you would see females teaching subjects like mathematics, physics and even chemistry, sometimes it seemed females were more in the school and they were doing excellent jobs.

"Sorry" I mumbled under his breath. The teacher's gaze was still fixed on the girl beside me.

"She has a little fever" I lied. If I  didn't tell her that, Selena was going to be in a little trouble, sleeping in class was not acceptable in school.

"Oh,has she gone to the clinic yet?"

"Yeah" Another lie,i hardly lied but here I was,two lies in a row.

The teacher shrugged and continued with her teaching while some girls actually managed to throw some looks at me. I kept my bored face not even returning the smile and slowly they all turned around and minded their business.

*

"Wait,you mean Miss Indidong saw me sleeping,shit shit shit" She cursed over and over and it actually left me amused.

"Didn't know you could cuss" I teased and she eyed me.

We were going to the cafeteria, though I badly wanted to hold her hands,I knew she wouldn't be so comfortable especially with the looks some students were throwing in our way. She stopped slapping her poor forehead.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" She asked me,she had this child like expression now.

"I didn't want to  disturb you, moreover she bought the lie about you having a little fever"I shrugged,my hands in my pocket as we had totally left the SS 3 block

"Plus, you looked really cute sleeping like that" I mumbled and I saw it, how she tried to keep the smile at bay. It was funny to me though.

We stepped into the cafeteria almost the same time and the usual happened, this time, the looks were more intense and I saw her actually fiddling with her fingers, she felt like running for a minute.

She was going to take another way, probably run in the opposite direction but I held her hand against my original plan

"You are sitting with me today" I told her firmly and I saw her,the facial expression she had when she was cooking up lots of stories to tell you

"You aren't even going to convince me against it"I told her again and I saw her shoulder slumped in defeat. Better.

I led her to to the table boisterously alive with talks from Ken and Precious,only God knows what they were arguing about, probably who was the best between Ralph or Leo from Teenage Ninja Turtles,they argued over nonsense most of the times.