26 ~ farkle's story

They sat in class and Maya was standing in front of the class.

"I never knew much about the Clutterbucket side of my family," Maya said. "My mom's Katy Clutterbucket because that's how she rolls. We're from Galway, Ireland. My relatives were fisherman, mostly. And I've been looking up pictures of Ireland and it's so beautiful. So is my mother. So I'm going to take her there one day because we're part of it. Because the best thing about being alive is to feel part of something. So," she looked at Mr. Matthews, "thank you for making me find out."

"Great work, Maya," Mr. Matthews said, smiling proudly. "Thank you for sharing your story with us. Riley?" Mr. Matthews turned to his daughter.

Riley smiled and stood up.

"I'm going with you," Riley told Maya as Riley walked up to the front of the class and Maya took her seat.

"Duh - hurr."

Riley stood before the class and began, "All through Culture Week, I've been searching the school for the America booth. And they don't have one. And then, I found something that made me understand why."

She walked to the door and opened it.

She turned around to face the class again.

"Field trip!" she announced. 

Harley and Cassie glanced at each other as they and the class got up and followed Riley out of the classroom. 

"You don't need an America booth when you come rom here," she said. "This country is one big cultural fair. Every day, I walk through different neighborhoods, different communities, and becoming one of them is as easy as stopping by to say hello."

She walked over to a large painting by the staircases. It was of a girl. Her face consisted of a variety of colors. Behind her was a yellow sky and New York City. There were small met wearing academic caps, either pointing or reading and birds flying.

"I am this girl right here," Riley said, pointing to the girl in the picture. "We all are. A combination of everybody we see every day."

She took a few steps towards the class. 

"Once upon a time, Riley Matthews lived in New York City," she said, "and because of that, she lives everywhere. That's my story."

She smiled excitedly and took a few steps closer to the class.

"I have a story!" 

"Thank you, Riley," Mr. Matthews smiled. "I'm sure the Great Lady of New York is smiling even bigger today. I know she holds a torch for all of us. Go on, get out of here."

The class all left except for Harley and his friends.

"You know, Farkle, you're the only one who hasn't told us anything today," Zay pointed out.

"Don't force him to say anything when he doesn't want to," Cassie told Zay.

"We know everybody's stories except yours," Maya said.

"And that doesn't work in this group," Lucas added.

"Don't force him to tell us when he doesn't want to," Cassie said.

"Yeah, it's his story for a reason," Harley nodded in agreement.

"It's fine," Farkle assured the two. 

"Are you sure?" Harley asked.

"Yeah," he nodded. "My great - grandfather left Denmark and came to America right after World War II."

"Just him?" Maya asked.

"I think he was the only one left," Farkle said.

Harley's mouth opened slightly. 

He felt Cassie take his wrist and hold it tightly.

"What about the others before him?"

"I don't thin they were named Minkus," Farkle said, sitting down on a bench.

"Well, who were they?" Lucas asked.

"I don't know," Farkle said. "I don't know if I'll ever know. There aren't birth records."

"... oh god," Cassie said, in a quiet voice.

"All I know is that during World War II, he was adopted by a Christina family named Minkus in Denmark," he continued, "who wanted to help him."

"Help him what?" Lucas asked.

Harley felt Cassie's grip on his wrist tighten. 

"Help him live," Harley said.

Harley sat down next to Farkle.

Cassie let go of his wrist as he did so.

"HIs great grandfather was Jewish," Zay said, realizing as well and sitting next to Farkle as well.

"Sometimes it's real hard when you find out your story," Farkle said. "My whole family -" his voice cracked. 

"Yeah," Zay said.

Harley squeezed Farkle's leg, reassuringly.

"I'm here for you if you ever want to talk," Zay said.

"Me too. I found out about these wonderful people called 'Christina Rescuers,'" Farkle said. "They saved babies by taking them in when they were -"

Riley squeezed herself between Farkle and Harley and hugged him.

"Thanks," he said. "I'm glad you found your story, Riley. I'm happy you all did. My story will be about how lucky we are to live in a place that allows you to come here so you can be whoever you are. But that's all I can really tell you about my heritage right now. Because I'm still finding out who I am."

The bell rang and everyone started walking out of their classes and reuniting with their friends as they headed to their next class.